Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 07-17-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
cadetlee2003

New Rider with a question

Hey guys, I'm a new rider. Well sort of new. I rode cbr 600 before only a few times and I didn't have as much trouble with that bike as I'm having now with my own. I just bought a 2002 Suzuki GS 250 and I feel like I'm having trouble balancing the bike at lower speeds. Particularly as a stop and go situation or if I have to stop and turn. Any suggestions from any seasoned riders out there would be helpful. Also, when I bought the bike, the guy had chrome front foot pegs on it and gave me the stock ones to put back on because my feet where sliding off while I was cruising. Help on how to install these footpegs would be great. Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
alantf

Re: New Rider with a question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadetlee2003
I feel like I'm having trouble balancing the bike at lower speeds.
Hi there,

Very strange. It's the first time anybody has found that (to my knowledge). The GZ has a lovely low centre of gravity, & is a VERY stable bike. If you had no trouble riding a bicycle, you should have no trouble with the GZ. Can anybody come up with anything? :??:
Old 07-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
Sarris

Typically, if you feel a bit out of balance at low speed you are going too slow, so try picking up the speed a bit.

Here is an exploded view of the footpegs so you can reassemble the originals. Footpegs

Welcome to the forum and good luck.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
dentheman

Have a rider friend or neighbor take it around a parking lot a couple times to see if they notice a problem. This might indicate a problem like steering head bearings or bent steering head, etc.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
Typically, if you feel a bit out of balance at low speed you are going too slow, so try picking up the speed a bit.
:plus1:

Kind of hard to do when coming to a stop though. :roll:

It is mostly a matter of practice and seat time. Do check your tire pressures though. WAY off in either direction can make for squirrely handling.

In that situation, until you get more comfortable at low speeds, get prepared for the stop early; that is, shift down as you slow down and snick it into first about the time you start feeling a little unsteady and then do NOT engage the clutch, get both feet out and finish your stop with the front brake.

NOW......that is only for starters. Once you get more comfortable, you need to then work on stopping with only your left foot down and right foot on the brake for stopping in places that are not flat.

The ultimate goal is to be able to hold the bike on a hill with the front brake and then open the throttle just a bit while engaging the clutch and releasing the brake........but you are probably a long ways from that at this point.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
cadetlee2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris

Once I get the bike going I'm good. One I get it going I feel great and it feels natural. Its starting out that I feel wabbly and coming to the stop I feel wabbly. It might be because I still need to get comfortable with the bike. I just didn't know if you guys had any suggestions.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Slow speed is an acquired dark art form but easy to master with practice. Never look down directly in front of the bike. Always look forward with your head up. Same for corners and U turns. Look where you want to go and you will find that you will automatically (in most cases) just turn the bike in that direction. The further ahead you look the more stable you will be. Practice and practice some more. Look for and buy a copy of Proficient Motorcycling written by David L. Hough. The best training you can buy without spending $millions. You will soon find that the GZ is very forgiving and an excellent first bike.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:54 AM   #8
OBryan

Just a quick suggestion here..Something I did.
If you can find an emptry or Mostly empty parking lot nearby.
Practice there..
Weaving in and out down the center line of a parking lot is Great practice.
Plus you have all those handy lines to practice your stopping at different speeds
with them there to gauge how you are doing..

Ride,,Ride,, and Ride some more..
After 3 years (a newbie still compared to most)
I Still hit a local empty parking lot occasionaly..
It's Fun and Good.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:37 AM   #9
mole2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadetlee2003
Hey guys, I'm a new rider. Well sort of new. I rode cbr 600 before only a few times and I didn't have as much trouble with that bike as I'm having now with my own. I just bought a 2002 Suzuki GS 250 and I feel like I'm having trouble balancing the bike at lower speeds. Particularly as a stop and go situation or if I have to stop and turn. Any suggestions from any seasoned riders out there would be helpful. Also, when I bought the bike, the guy had chrome front foot pegs on it and gave me the stock ones to put back on because my feet where sliding off while I was cruising. Help on how to install these footpegs would be great. Thanks.
As far as the slow speed riding take the MSF BRC (Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Riders Course). The whole course is slow speed control. I took it at the Horry Georgetown Technical College so I'm sure it's offered up by you in Rock Hill. It's well worth the money. If you pass you don't have to take the SC DMV road test...they accept the BRC road test. You do have to have your learners permit before you take the BRC. In the interim my suggestion is keep your head up and look where you want to go. Do not look down or right in front of you. The old saying is Look Down, Fall Down.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:57 PM   #10
GZ250

ride at slow speed in a parking lot and try to keep the balance. most of the time i just slow down early at red signal and never put my foot on the ground and steer at very low speed and take off as the light turns green, it is fun you can only enjoy on a bike.