Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 08-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #11
bwader

Re: Rejected inspection: front turn signals

I checked the bulb 12V 21/5

I tried starting with kick stand down and it starts up. So I'm thinking that shouldn't happen its supposed to be up to be able to start. I had it in neutral and pulled in clutch

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #12
alantf

No, you're supposed to be able to start with the stand down. The safety switch cuts the engine if you put it in gear with the stand down. This is so that you can't ride off with the stand down.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #13
bwader

ok that's good to know. Wires went from the turn signal lights to the headlight casing. So I guess the rest is inside there. Its been raining and didn't have much dry time outside to really do anything but check the bulbs and put them back in.

I checked all the fuses in the fuse box and the 20amp one on the right near the battery was good.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #14
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

There is a way with one of those pokey electrical testers to test resistance to see if your ground is working. Alan will have to detail that or just read the instructions on your volt meter. But it's fairly easy from what I recall, I just couldn't tell you how to set it up or what to look for without doing it again. If the ground isn't solid, the polarity will let you know.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #15
bwader

I have a volt tester, somewhere it talked about testing the side/stand relay A through H or something put 12volts to 2 places then test two other places. Yeah whatever.....

This is keeping me from getting an inspection sticker! it would be different if I was just being anal about wanting it to look right. It works fine to me but to that inspector they both blink and its not hazard lights on. I don't think this bike has a hazard button.

Its raining today still so I wouldn't be riding tonight to work anyway.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #16
alantf

[attachment=0:rvbti8kl]img002.jpg[/attachment:rvbti8kl]They say a picture's worth a thousand words, so I've done a little sketch. With the meter set to ohms (say, the 200 ohm scale) you should get a reading of just above zero( i.e. no resistance to earth.) I say "just above" zero, because the meter will read the residual resistance of the meter & leads.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #17
mole2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwader
Another thing I want to fix is the turn signal indicator light on the instrument cluster.

That would be nice, for the time being I go by feel when I move the switch left, off, right.

Neutral light works at least
That can also be your problem with the directional signals.

Do Dis First.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #18
5th_bike

Quote:
Do Dis First.
YES !!! :plus1:

a) both of your turn lights blink
b) your turn signal indicator bulb doesn't work

Conclusion: there is a short at your turn signal indicator!

Because, if the turn signal indicator would be just "out" (dead) there is no current going through it, so then the 'other' signal indicator would not blink at all.
But, since it is shorting, both turn signal lights blink.

To remove: work the turn signal indicator assembly up, through the round hole, until you can work the lens out of the black rubber. The, pull the rubber down through the hole. Roll the rubber back to get to the bulb.
The short could be "internal" to the bulb, or at the bottom of the bulb, or at the wires outside the assembly (small chance), so just pull the bulb and see what happens.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #19
mole2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike
Quote:
Do Dis First.
YES !!! :plus1:

a) both of your turn lights blink
b) your turn signal indicator bulb doesn't work

Conclusion: there is a short at your turn signal indicator!

Because, if the turn signal indicator would be just "out" (dead) there is no current going through it, so then the 'other' signal indicator would not blink at all.
But, since it is shorting, both turn signal lights blink.

To remove: work the turn signal indicator assembly up, through the round hole, until you can work the lens out of the black rubber. The, pull the rubber down through the hole. Roll the rubber back to get to the bulb.
The short could be "internal" to the bulb, or at the bottom of the bulb, or at the wires outside the assembly (small chance), so just pull the bulb and see what happens.
Yes, it's a tie between both circuits and can cause a feedback. Just replace the bulb and see what happens. :2tup:

Old 08-07-2013, 12:39 AM   #20
bwader

:2tup: So far I took the bulb out it seems to work normal now. Ill see in the morning with a new bulb I'll pick up at advance auto in the morning.

Damn, I might have been able to pass inspection just pulling out the bulb. Though I'm not holding my breath either, its dark out and only with the motorcycle lights on it seems to have been the problem!

Wow this was really simple to do. Only thing though the place I got inspected, Tread Quarters has only one inspector and he said in advance he was not going to be there Wednesday, sucks its Wednesday now after midnight.
Ahh be patient and wait til Thursday and spend 1$ or spend another $12 at a different inspection station.

I'll wait another day, it will be my luck it will rain Friday when I return to work.

Thanks everyone for your inputs and help. I'll try the new bulb and I'll post here the results and go from there.