Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 10-07-2008, 11:15 AM   #11
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal
Re: Winter gear on the cheap (poor college student)

Okay, I tested my setup this morning. When I left it was around 44 degrees, a bit warmer than it was Saturday morning (39 - BURR!). I decided to forgo the thermal underwear this morning. Here is what I found out:
- Gotta get new gloves, period. I actually didn't have any problem with air blowing into my sleeves, but I don't think any amount of insulation is going to make up for the fact that the gloves are vented. It wasn't horrible though, and it'll do for a few more weeks. I think the latex gloves helped a bit, and they were certainly better than nothing. BTW, my hands were dry when I got to campus.
- With my Underarmor, by torso was quite toasty. I never once felt "cold," though I could definitely tell where the vents in my jacket's arms were (even with the liner in). The only modification I'll make is I'll probably start wearing a long-sleeve shirt over my Underarmor.
- My windbreaker/jeans combo worked surprisingly well. The only part of my legs that got cold was my lap. I'll have to see what its like with my thermal underwear before I make any changes. It was quite tolerable, though, and the only thing I'll likely have to do is perhaps get some sweat pants to wear under my jeans.
- With my beanie on under my helmet, my head stayed nice a toasty. My face got a little cold, especially since I had to crack my visor every once and a while to defog it, but once I get my balaclava I should be good to go.
- My boots, which aren't insulated (Dr. Marten), did surprisingly well, also. I only wore one pair of moderately heavy socks and my feet didn't get cold (or wet) at all.

All in all I'm pretty happy with what I've got so far. Now I just need to buy a gym bag to carry it around in while I'm on campus.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-07-2008, 11:31 AM   #12
rusty rider

I rode 100 miles last Friday night with tempatures around 45 to 50 degrees not counting the wind.

For my feet I had on my hunting boots with thinsulate (2nd most expensive piece) and one pair of socks.

For my legs cotton long underwear and a pair of jeans.

Upper body t-shirt, hooded pull over sweat shirt, and a leather lined jacket from Steve and Barry's $12.00 (maybe that's why their bankrupt)

I had a pair of gauntlet leather lined gloves that I bought from Rural King for $24.99, these made the biggest difference in comfort for me.

Last but not least a full face helmet. (My most expensive purchase)

I was perfectly comfortable for the entire ride, contrary to what several people thought when they realized I had ridden my motorcycle to my son's game.

I've looked at chaps, but can't get the image of the bikers from Clint Eastwood's Every Which Way But Loose wearing assless chaps. So they're out. I will still need to find something for riding to work, since I wear khakis. When it get's colder.

One last note motorcycles aren't treated to resist road salts like a car, if you ride once the roads have been treated during the winter you will need to clean your bike thoroughly after riding.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:57 PM   #13
Moedad

It's 100 here today. IF it gets down to 40 here, it's like the End of Days. Nobody can talk about anything else. "Cold enough for ya?" Place becomes a ghost town. Everyone stays in.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:47 AM   #14
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty rider

I've looked at chaps, but can't get the image of the bikers from Clint Eastwood's Every Which Way But Loose wearing assless chaps. So they're out.
Chaps are the way to go. With thermals and heavy jeans on ... a pair of chaps cant be beat. You dont feel any cold air on your legs at all. The leather just cuts the cold wind right off you. I wouldn't ride without them in cold weather.

I thought the same thing when i got a pair. You know what, a year later, not one person ever said they looked bad or gay lol.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 10-08-2008, 06:09 AM   #15
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
I thought the same thing when i got a pair. You know what, a year later, not one person ever said they looked bad or gay lol.
That's because you only ever wear them to your gay-pride rallies.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:45 AM   #16
Easy Rider

Quote:
You know what, a year later, not one person ever said they looked bad or gay lol.
What your best friends won't tell you !! :crackup
Old 10-08-2008, 10:14 AM   #17
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
Quote:
That's because you only ever wear them to your gay-pride rallies.

WHY DIDNT ANYONE TELL ME I HAD SUCH A BIG ASS?? :shocked:

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 10-08-2008, 05:20 PM   #18
Magnar Infectus

Send a message via ICQ to Magnar Infectus Send a message via AIM to Magnar Infectus Send a message via MSN to Magnar Infectus Send a message via Yahoo to Magnar Infectus

Quote:
WHY DIDNT ANYONE TELL ME I HAD SUCH A BIG ASS?? :shocked:
Does that mean you don't want Snotty beaming you anymore?
Old 10-18-2008, 07:34 AM   #19
greenhorn

Check this site out. It was recommended by a guy on another moto forum:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/

I bought double-sidede caarharts & a neck gater from there.

Everything is SUPER cheap. You won't regret the look see.

Stayin' warm in the Nort country

M
Old 10-30-2008, 02:18 PM   #20
john1096

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Anything in your clothes which can block air entry, like raingear, will also keep you warm, maybe too warm. But it's easy to open up for ventilation if that happens.
Ditto. Insulating layers covered by a windproof layer. You'll be surprised at how little it takes to stay warm.