Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 10-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
Easy Rider

My MODS-Seat, windshield, engine guard, cruise control, etc.

Here is a list of my mods and some pic's.
More details or better (hopefully) pictures on request.
Not shown: 16 tooth front sprocket. Discussed in detail in other threads.

Edit 4/3/09: I can no longer recommend the Memphis Shades, Santa Cruz because of the flimzy mounting system (grommet through holes in shield). Mine cracked when I hit a pothole.

Overview:

Windshield: Memphis Shades, Santa Cruz.
Also another good choice: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1362&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Engine Guard: MC Enterprises:
Part # 1000-25. $170. Warning: If you have BIG feet, it might interfere with shifter and rear brake!

Seat mods: TWO gel pads from Pro Pad. Small one for everyday use ($ 72) increases my "cramp" threshold from 20 minutes to about 40. Then add the large one, about $120, (yes, both at once) for long road trips increased my tolerance to about an hour. Both together achieves roughly the same added width and flatter profile that others have achieved by re-upholstering but was more expensive than do-it-yourself. I'm guessing about the same total cost as a professional job.

Cruise control: Really just defeats the throttle return spring. Large O-ring from the hardware store; cost ~ 75 cents. For highway use ONLY. Makes shifting "different"; practice off road a bit. Must STOP to dis-engage.

Cruise OFF:

Cruise ON:

That's about it. The sissy bar and bag supports are OEM. Bags unknown as they came with the bike.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-12-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Re: My MODS-Seat, windshield, engine guard, cruise control, etc.

Very cool.

The one thing i disagree with is that o-ring deal. Just seems to me thats a cause for worry because its keeping your throttle open without a 'quick release' feature. must stop to disengage .. yikes.

Then again, i dont wear a helmet so what do i know about safety lol :neener: As i ALWAYS say, do what makes you feel good. Its YOUR ride

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 10-13-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
dubwise

Do feel like that crash bar is beefy enough to make a difference if you lay it down?

Old 10-13-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
The one thing i disagree with is that o-ring deal. Just seems to me thats a cause for worry because its keeping your throttle open without a 'quick release' feature. must stop to disengage .. yikes.
You misunderstand. Apparently I didn't explain well enough. You "disengage" it merely by closing the throttle; you completely disconnect it by rolling it back away from the crack. It doesn't "lock" the throttle but just puts enough drag on it to prevent the spring from closing it.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:09 PM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubwise
Do feel like that crash bar is beefy enough to make a difference if you lay it down?
Yes. I'm guessing that it is wide enough that there might be no damage at all from a "driveway drop"......but then I don't consider scratches as damage either! :biggrin:

From looking at the picture, what do YOU think? It is definitely more functional than the OEM one which is a joke, IMHO.

I don't like the term "lay it down" because that suggests that the rider put it down on purpose.....which THIS rider will never do. It might low-side but I don't "lay it down".

If you crash at speed, no telling how much the engine guard will help......if any.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:28 AM   #6
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
You misunderstand. Apparently I didn't explain well enough. You "disengage" it merely by closing the throttle; you completely disconnect it by rolling it back away from the crack. It doesn't "lock" the throttle but just puts enough drag on it to prevent the spring from closing it.
Gotcha.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 10-14-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
OC Hoosier

How does that windshield work out for you? I have essentially the same design and find that it acts more as a parachute than a windshield. I have a difficult time reaching/exceeding 65mph with the shield on, but can easily hit 75 without. Definitely keeps me protected from the wind and flying objects, but at a major cost of speed with our small horsepower output.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:51 AM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Hoosier
How does that windshield work out for you? I have essentially the same design and find that it acts more as a parachute than a windshield.
Yes, there is a little trade-off......but not much. And you can choose, to some degree, how much drag versus how much protection you want.

For more protection, you mount it higher up and with not much angle (nearer to straight up and down) but that also gives you the max. amount of drag.

For less drag and slightly less protection (depending on how tall you are and exactly how high it is), you mount it lower and tilt the top back more.

That's how I started out with mine and performance was about the same as the small shield I took off. I have now moved it higher and put less angle on it; the protection is excellent but I can tell there is more drag.

With most of my riding being in town at less than 50 mph, I can't tell the difference there. When I hit the highway, it takes me somewhat longer to get to 65 though.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:59 AM   #9
OC Hoosier

Yes, it's all about the adjustments and trade-offs. BTW, I enjoyed your pics. It's nice to see the corn and beans ready for harvest in the background, ha. Are you closer to Champaign or Danville?
Old 10-14-2008, 11:07 AM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Hoosier
Are you closer to Champaign or Danville?
Slightly west of Champaign.