Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 06-09-2009, 07:25 AM   #11
bonehead

Re: Has anyone tried a 40 tooth rear sprocket?

How about a follow up. Did you put the rear sprocket on? If so how did it work? I'm thinking about doing the rear sprocket for the same reason. Did the front and the carb mods but in 5th it just falls on its face.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead
How about a follow up. Did you put the rear sprocket on? If so how did it work? I'm thinking about doing the rear sprocket for the same reason. Did the front and the carb mods but in 5th it just falls on its face.
Don't know how throughly or carefully you read all the previous posts about the 16T front but I had been trying to emphasize the situations where is is NOT apporpriate to up the gear ratio......by any means, including a rear change.

Riding in situations where "falling on it's face in 5th" is a serious consideration is one of them.
My recommendation is to put it back stock......but if you have the time and the money to try and "fine tune" it, then go for it !!! :cool:
Old 06-09-2009, 10:55 AM   #13
bonehead

That's exactly what I am trying to do. The power band just seems to lag off in 5th. It is slow to get to 60-62mph and that it about top end with throttle to spare. The 40t rear might just bring the r's up to where there is a little more power in 5th. But still, I have to justify 50+ dollars and time to do the swap.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:21 PM   #14
Easy Rider

Quote:
The power band just seems to lag off in 5th. It is slow to get to 60-62mph and that it about top end with throttle to spare.
Yes, most of us KNOW that already. Suzuki did a good job engineering the final drive ratio right on the EDGE of the Horsepower limit.

If performance in 5th gear is of primary concern to you......and it sounds like it IS.....then you should PUT THE STOCK 15T SPROCKET BACK ON THE FRONT. Easier and cheaper and guaranteed to work.....unless you have mucked something up in the carbs. :roll:
Old 06-09-2009, 09:46 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

The GZ doesn't have enough engine to spare. Re-gearing on both ends for more speed/lower RPMs will probably put you past the limit for any 5th gear usage unless you are going downhill. I personally think Suzuki got the stock gearing as good as possible without sacrificing bottom end or top end performance with the available power. This wonderful little bike was never meant to run down the highway and keep pace with traffic at higher speeds. City streets, 2 lane black top secondary highways is where it shines and is happiest.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:31 PM   #16
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
I personally think Suzuki got the stock gearing as good as possible without sacrificing bottom end or top end performance with the available power.
While you and I are in basic agreement here, I think we disagree on the detail.

If you need a bike that will "keep up" on the freeway, then you got the wrong one with a GZ......in ANY configuration. With it's stock gearing, it will BARELY keep you from getting squashed.

With that in mind, I think it is a MUCH better city and back roads machine with a little higher gearing. You can "cruise" in the city in 3rd or 4th....and run it up to 60 if need be to launch you into 5th, which is pretty much useless IF you think you need to go fast.

If you can accept that you aren't going to go fast and stay at that speed (above 65) for very long AND it takes a while to get there..........then the 16T front makes perfect sense. Most who try it love the result.

BUT IT IS NOT FOR EVERYBODY; nobody ever said it was. I've got a hunch that those who can't STAND to loose 5 mph or so on the top end aren't going to be happy with the little beast very long anyway regardless of what you do to it. :cool:

And then there are those who LOVE their GZ but seem to be incapable of resisting temptation.... :shocked:

There still are times I wish I had it back.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:41 AM   #17
Blackbird

In theory, the lower rear sprocket (40T) with a 16T front sprocket should work well as predicted.
My Yamaha 650 (I know, bad comparison) comes with a stock 17T/ 34T sprockets. Many owners are going to a 18T/30T ratio. The R's go down along with the vibrations. Will it work with a GZ? ...

The cost of the sprocket at $52.99 is really high. Plus it is aluminum, not steel. How long will that last? I'd rather have steel.

Is the GZ chain a 520 or a 530? :??:
Old 06-10-2009, 10:03 AM   #18
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird
In theory, the lower rear sprocket (40T) with a 16T front sprocket should work well as predicted.
TIME OUT !!!

Something is wrong with this picture.

I had to go back to the beginning of this thread and get the rear tooth count........
SO......
Increasing the teeth on the front makes the gearing "taller"........
Decreasing the tooth count on the rear does the SAME THING, makes the gearing higher.

Upping the front one tooth PLUS dropping the rear one would make matters even worse (top end loss).

I think the intent was (or should be) using a 40 rear with a 15 front.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #19
bonehead

You know what, that just may work. Funny how THINKING is such a hard process at 50+ years.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #20
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
You know what, that just may work. Funny how THINKING is such a hard process at 50+ years.
That is just because of all the accumulated knowledge and an overworked filing system. You can reboot the system with a pleasant ride in the country and a few twisties for good measure.