Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 04-06-2009, 11:03 PM   #1
burkbuilds

New exhaust really helped my mpg's and I like the sound too!

Bought a new exhaust pipe and installed it on my GZ 250. I got it on E-bay from flightsimshop for about $75 delivered. I was trying to accomplish two objectives, 1. Get the exhaust tip away from my saddle bags and 2. change the sound of the bike to something a little bit louder. The add said "New Suzuki Marauder GZ250 Custom Exhaust" it looked like it would not hit my saddle bags and the add said it would stop my GZ from sounding like a "sewing machine". They called it the "Screamin Eagle". It's a little louder than I expected,(not as loud as the Harley's around here) but it's okay, and what really surprised me was how much more "pep" my 250 had. I wasn't down shifting as often, and I was able to take a hill on highway 27 that I cross every day without losing speed and I didn't even have it opened up all the way. By the way, I'm 6'1" and weigh 210 lbs if you need something size wise to compare. After checking my fuel for two tanks I was convinced that I was getting a big boost in mpg. I went from 70 mpg to over 84 mpg! That's a pretty big jump in numbers, but I've checked it twice now and I check my mileage with every tank, so I knew what I was getting before. Thought some others might be interested in this. By the way, the muffler came with a clamp to hold it on and it worked, but I didn't really like the fact that you could see it if you were looking, so I went down to the local muffler shop and had it brazed on, they charged me $20 to do it. I also don't know if this muffler is "legal", but where I live the EPA (or any other federal government agencies either for that matter) hasn't really found us yet, so I don't have to pass any tests here, that may not be true where you live.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-06-2009, 11:40 PM   #2
rayzuki

Re: New exhaust really helped my mpg's and I like the sound too!

I have been looking at this. Just waiting for me foot to heal so I can get out at wrench on the bike. Do you have a shot from the back?
Old 04-07-2009, 07:57 AM   #3
David Bo

Can you explain in detail as to how I can get one? You mentioned that you got yours on ebay form fightismshop? How can I order one? Are they an on-the-shelf item? I also notice some dis-coloration on the pipes in your photo right where the exhaust comes out of your engine. Did that happen after you installed the pipes?

Old 04-07-2009, 08:08 AM   #4
adrianinflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bo
Can you explain in detail as to how I can get one? You mentioned that you got yours on ebay form fightismshop? How can I order one? Are they an on-the-shelf item? I also notice some dis-coloration on the pipes in your photo right where the exhaust comes out of your engine. Did that happen after you installed the pipes?
Here are two of them from that seller

This is the one he bought, I believe:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SCREAMIN ... ccessories

And a slightly different one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-SUZU ... ccessories
Old 04-07-2009, 10:07 AM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
I also don't know if this muffler is "legal",
You can stop wondering. If it sounds significantly louder than stock, then it is NOT legal.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bo
Can you explain in detail as to how I can get one?
OH CRAP! Here we go.

What the hell is it that makes riders think that a bike somehow sounds "better" the louder it is ?? :skull:

You have a LITTLE bike with a LITTLE engine. In my opinion, making it loud just makes it sound and look stupid. :poke2:

And the other changes noted might be due more to a change in riding technique than to any real increase in performance. The few other people that have changed their pipes dramatically have reported mixed results; some no change, some a little better and some a little worse.

Lastly, if you live in an area with mandatory inspection, you may find that your bike FAILS with a louder than stock muffler. Consider this change carefully because it will be difficult and expensive to go back.

P.S. The slight gold/yellow color on the pipes near the engine is normal.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
adrianinflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
I also don't know if this muffler is "legal",
You can stop wondering. If it sounds significantly louder than stock, then it is NOT legal.
Yep. Technically, changing to anything but the stock muffler that Suzuki federalized the bike with can be construed as 'illegal'. The bike receives it's EPA certification with the intake, engine and exhaust that it comes from the factory with. Any deviation from that could cause your bike to be 'Illegal' or, at the very least, not within the EPA specs as it was delivered. Will you have problems because of that? It depends on whether you live in a state with smog checks, or visual inspections, or if, for some reason, the police, DOT enforcement, etc pull you over and your muffler doesn't have the certification data stamped on it.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #8
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Someone better call Vance & Hines, Cobra and all the other aftermarket pipe manufacturers and tell them to shut their doors down. They are selling illegal parts for motorcycles. Surprised homeland security isn't on this one.

I honestly think windshields are gay looking, but i dont jump in every thread telling everyone how stupid they look with one installed. :poke2:

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 04-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #9
adrianinflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
Someone better call Vance & Hines, Cobra and all the other aftermarket pipe manufacturers and tell them to shut their doors down. They are selling illegal parts for motorcycles. Surprised homeland security isn't on this one.

I honestly think windshields are gay looking, but i dont jump in every thread telling everyone how stupid they look with one installed. :poke2:
Illegal parts, no. If you check into most of the exhaust manufaturers, they have a EPA or CARB certification that their exhaust parts meet EPA specs, or list the parts as "For Off Road Use Only" or in some cases, not legal for sale in California (Doesn't meet the stricter CARB regulations). Just buying a generic drag pipe, or cherry bomb muffler would, technically, make a bike "out of compliance". But as I said, unless the thing is obnoxious enough to get you pulled over, you'll probably never have a problem.

I have nothing against louder than stock pipes, it's the jackasses that think pipes that you can 'feel' from 3 blocks away that are annoying.

(Agree on the windshields, though)
Old 04-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #10
burkbuilds

Adrianinflorida posted a link that will get you to flightsimshop's page on e-bay, just click on "visit sellers store" and search a little and you'll find the exhaust I got, that specifically states it's for the GZ250.

Louder pipes: Well, Easy Rider, if you are happy with the sound of your bike then you have no need to change it. I wasn't completely happy with the sound, but mainly I wanted to get the exhaust away from my saddle bag. I already had an aluminum plate I riveted on to give some protection, but it was getting too hot in my opinion. I don't particularly like excessively loud bikes either, but I do like the sound to be a little lower in pitch, and all three of my daughters and my wife gave it the thumbs up after I put it on and I like it.

Inspections: Like I said, I don't have to put up with that where I live, but you better consider it before you make a change if that's not the case where you are. Easy Rider is correct, I had to saw the old muffler off with a sawzall, grind a little and then I went the route of having the new muffler welded on, so it would be pretty major to put it back stock at this point. The few cops in my town seem to have better things to do than harass you over little stuff like your EPA compliance unless you do something to really piss them off, and basically, they leave you alone unless you are endangering someone with your actions.

Performance: Easy could be right about that too. I'm not saying anyone else will get these results from the same changes, just reporting on my experience. I did back the idle mixture screw out 2 1/2 turns to prevent backfiring as it instructed in the installation instructions and I had to back off the idle speed quite a bit to bring the rpms back down to normal at idle. Otherwise, I'm not doing anything differently that I know of. I've put almost 10,000 miles on this bike since last Summer and the worst mpg I got was 65 and the best previously was 75. I check it every time I fill up, and I'm usually within 2 mpg of 70. I pretty much ride the same route every day with the same load on the bike, and the only other "big" change I make is to remove the windshield when the weather gets warmer, which seams to cost me a few mpg's, but I also prefer the look without the windshield, and I like to feel the air when it's hot outside, not so much when it was 18 degrees this Winter.

I say, it's your bike, fix it up or leave it alone to suit you! Happy Riding Everybody!