Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 04-07-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
johnjh2o

Re: New exhaust really helped my mpg's and I like the sound too!

Looks like the same exhaust you can get from JC Whitney.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Item ... 0000144196
John

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #12
burkbuilds

That does look the same, however, I'm not sure about the diameter of the pipe, but I don't think our little GZ has a 1 1/2" OD exhaust pipe. Measure yours before you order. The one I bought was specifically sized for the GZ 250. It was $59.99 + $14.99 for S&H (About $75 delivered). This might be a few bucks more than the one in J.C. Whitney, but if theirs isn't the right size it's not a deal. If it is, then go for it!
Old 04-07-2009, 10:46 PM   #13
trykemike

Hey Brkbuilds .

I like the pipe. I drilled mine . My buddies like the sound. I like the sound. It is not a vtwin sound but more like a refined high performance sound when the revs get up to 6000-7000 rpm. at low speed when the gas is shut off it sounds like an old triumph 440 single. Burble burble.

Stock sounded worse than either of my 3 wheelers. The 200 has an open ended exhaust outlet 1 1/2 inches wide and just grunts.

WITH the jetting adjustments that you did I beleive that you did get 5-7 % performance gain. I did because stock could not pass 115 k but now 130 k is the max flat-out no wind. But 100-120 is now strong when needed.

Make it your ride. Enjoy.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:53 PM   #14
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
They are selling illegal parts for motorcycles.
They are not illegal until they are actually MOUNTED on a working bike.......that is licensed for use on the public roads.

So, is it your position that loud pipes are somehow above criticism.........or maybe that I should not speak my piece when the subject comes up ?? :shocked: :??:
Old 04-07-2009, 11:02 PM   #15
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
I don't particularly like excessively loud bikes either, but I do like the sound to be a little lower in pitch, and all three of my daughters and my wife gave it the thumbs up after I put it on and I like it.
I may have gotten the wrong impression from your statement: "It's a little louder than I expected,(not as loud as the Harley's around here)", so I bow to the judgement of 4 females.......who should not be succeptible to testosterone overload! :biggrin:

I wouldn't have thought that the litttle beast COULD be too loud, until someone here posted a clip of one with a straight pipe on it.....WOW!!

Old 04-08-2009, 12:30 AM   #16
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds

I say, it's your bike, fix it up or leave it alone to suit you! Happy Riding Everybody!
Quote of the year right there.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 04-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #17
burkbuilds

No problems with you speaking your mind Easy Rider, none at all. My dad use to say, "I may not like what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it!"
Old 04-08-2009, 04:59 PM   #18
David Bo

I am glad everyone got a chance to voice their opinions on this subject matter... I am still very interested in changing my pipe and shimming my needle though. If anyone else feels that this is a big mistake and would like to share their horror story with me, I would like to hear your input. My motorcycle is not my main means of transportation and I consider myself to be a pretty good "weekend tinkerer". I (unlike Easy Rider) enjoy the sound of a "loudish" rumbling motor and would like to make these modifications to my GZ. I have owned some pretty loud bikes in the past and have never had a problem with getting inspection stickers or getting pulled over by Barney Fife... The only thing that I can not do (without outside help) is weld. Has anyone swapped out a muffler without having the new one welded on? Also, is it wise to take the gas tank off before shimming the needle in the carb? I seem to remember seeing one post where someone loosened the carburetor clamps and twisted the carb towards him to get to those two phillips head screws on top. I think I would rather take the tank off.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #19
adrianinflorida

The tank is easy enough to take off, there's really no reason not to. Two bolts at the rear and slide back and lift off of the bike.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #20
burkbuilds

Yeah, I'm no mechanic by anyone's standards and I've had the tank off several times for various reasons, it's simple. Pull the seat, remove two bolts, shut off the fuel valve on the carb, slide off two rubber hoses from the carb, probably won't even need a tool to do that, maybe pliers to remove the clamp, or just your fingers, then slide the tank back towards the rear tire and lift.