Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 02-08-2011, 12:37 AM   #11
RamAir

Re: Motor Overhaul (summer project)

More resources?? I ahve a 250 cuz I am poor! But whatever you say WW. hahaha But Ill take the yoounger enthusiasm as a good thing! Unless you mean young and dumb, jk. The only way you could discourage me outta doing these mods is by telling me you have tried all of them for yourself and not one worked. I am guessing that is not the case?!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-08-2011, 08:17 AM   #12
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir
The only way you could discourage me outta doing these mods is by telling me you have tried all of them for yourself and not one worked.

They probably all work, the only question is, and it has been asked on this site many times is, are you going to get anywhere near the performance gain you would need to get to be worth all the time and money you are going to sink into this, and maybe more importantly, how long is your engine, or just the entire bike in general going to last if you do get those kind of gains.

Not that I am saying don't do it, quite the contrary, its your money and your motorcycle, and after having several people come on this site claiming that they were going to do basically this same thing, and then all of a sudden disappear, I am hoping that whether you fail or succeed on this project, that you will stick around and tell us the bad and good of doing stuff like this to the GZ. And hopefully you will stick around long enough to tell us the long term effects of them too.

Good luck
Old 02-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #13
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
More resources?? I ahve a 250 cuz I am poor! But whatever you say WW. hahaha But Ill take the yoounger enthusiasm as a good thing! Unless you mean young and dumb, jk. The only way you could discourage me outta doing these mods is by telling me you have tried all of them for yourself and not one worked. I am guessing that is not the case?!
Young and searching for knowledge and experience.

I am wondering though, is the cost of these mods going to any less overall than just insuring and operating a 500 cc bike with the performance you can use without all the wrenching and potential reliability issues down the road ?

Old 02-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #14
RamAir

Ok how about some numbers.
New (meaning old used motor) $600 Canadian BUCKS! <<<< There you go boys theres my summer money!

Oh wait first things first WW Are you adding in the cost of 3 or 4 grand for that 500CC bike. If all these mods work I plan on keeping this bike for years untill my insurance for a loarger bike falls within what I have set aside as yearly insurance allawonce for myself!

BB kit. about 100 bucks.
Newish head. what? 100 to 200 with cam and all.
Oli cooler what 50 bucks?
So total 350 bones.
New uesd motor 600.

Also If and when the motor is running with all these mods then I will pick a weekend and do the PORT AND POLISHing. Again That guy never replyed to his thread other then once to say how it went but from that one post he posted good things.

You guys tell me

Bam my motor is now running considering the bottom end is fine cuz these motors up around here are hard to come by!

So right there in the aboce since I plan on oil cooler BB kit and newer head for this summer ythen I am good to go so...

Plus all the port and polishing will be great practice for future projects. GUY KEEP IN MIND I plan to own bike in the future and mod them both crusers and sport bikes. I even wanna get into racing them. And why not practice on a cheaper bike like the gz where oem and after market parts are not that bad when it comes to cost. Btter to blow $600 GZ motor then a $1500 V-star or honda shadow or whatever else bike you wanna include in this sntince!

And if after all of this work does not infact work out I will be parting out the bike or selling it as a parts bike and taking a year or two off to save up and get a bigger bike. And since I will be older insurance will also be cheaper.

NOW What I need here from poeple would be help with the carb jets. I need to know what size I would need for a 300CC bike.
Also factor in that you guys who do the carb jet mod do it for a 250cc bike. I want the same increase you guys give your 250s to mathimadically be the pretty much same on the 300CC motor. Am I making any cents here? LOL Bear with me. sorry
Old 02-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #15
blaine

When I re jetted my carb I went from #120 M.J to a #132,shimmed the needle,and adjusted the idle jet.I was running a after market exhaust,and air filter.
:cool:

Old 02-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

That sounds like quite a quest for knowledge and experience. Now your ideas make more sense when the future bikes and plans are added in.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #17
RamAir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
That sounds like quite a quest for knowledge and experience. Now your ideas make more sense when the future bikes and plans are added in.

Yes you are right Sir. WW I should have also added that in. Just like a winter beater car that I ahve with the turbo motor I just put in the thing.
Car 300 bucks! Almost NO RUST One owner (my friends dad Ii knew the guys)
Doner car with short block rebilt motor 350 bucks. Plus newer suspenssion from the car and a whole bunck of other stuff

Supplys and all will run me in the thousands when the car is at the standerd that I want it to be but for a $650 dolla car with almost new motor and almost no rust body its a great learning project.

I also went to school for auto mechanics for 2 years and once I am done studing for my other carears I will start on my way to becoming a lincensed tec.

So I hope all of you see that there is method to my madness now although be it extream madness yes. :retard:
Old 02-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #18
RamAir

Blaine I am guessing you left the idle jet alone? And did you get the jets from eboy?
Thanks for the input. And you to WW.

P.S. If anyone sees me going in a bad deriction throught this build speak or rather type up. It takes a lot to offend me and if its gonna save me time, money and stress then thats even better. I am not trying to sound cocky or that I am such a great handy man here. I just like to dream big, then when I wake from my slumber I make my dreams come true azz all!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:13 PM   #19
blaine

Quote:
Blaine I am guessing you left the idle jet alone? And did you get the jets from eBay?
Yes,I only adjusted the idle jet.I bought the M.j. from a after market shop in my area.This shop is a excellent shop that can order me almost any after market part I need,without the hassle of ordering from eBay,or the extra cost of shipping.Any good motor cycle shop should be able to provide you with the M.J.s you need.
:roll:

Old 02-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #20
RamAir

Sorry M.J.'s? Motorcycle jets??