Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 04-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
PG tips

First maintenance

I don't have the bike too long, not put much miles on it.
I've just done a few things to the bike, to give it the once over before I start putting up some miles
I changed the oil and filter, but a few other q's, if people can offer opinions?
When I checked the air filter it looks clean, I've no compressor so can't blow it out from the outside, could I vacuum it from the inside?
I checked the plug and it looks good/gap ok, was expecting it to be stuck in, but surprised how easy it came out, it was almost loose!
I think someone may have put on some anti seize grease at some point and the grease has dematerialised in the meantime, pleasant suprise, handy having the toolkit too as my car plug socket is different length/diameter.

I checked the sprockets, they seem ok, but even though I lubed the chain (from a can) , the rust is still peering through, I will check the manual document again, think it said something about not putting grease on it due to o-rings?, do people paint a small amount of grease on? dont want it flung everywhere.
when I checked the air filter box, there was a bit of a smell of petrol in it, I presume its just coming back from the carb and what looked like oil (a small amount?), when I opened the drain for the air filter box, a bit more oil leaked out (not too much), is the drain to catch oil blown over from the breather hose, just wondering why they do it via the air filter box? surely that might contaminate the filter?

I think I will try check the valve clearances, but read that a special tool is needed??
but I will run it to check oil level/take it out for a spin before doing any more work anyway.

Mostly want to ask, there is some slight corrosion on the forks, I think it might have been from stone chips as its only on the front
it seems to be mostly above the level where the forks dip to when braking, any ideas whats the best way to remove it?
Someone I know recommended metal polish but all that does is clean the chromes part, I thought it was like a rubbing paste, I'm beginning to think I might have to sand them out lightly but would like to get some advice on that, dont want to create a starting point for rust.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
blaine

Re: First maintenance

You could tap the filter on the ground to loosen any dirt and than vacuum out if you like.You should only clean the chain with kerosene as not to damage o-rings.I like to use a aerosol spray lube as it penetrates better & is cleaner.A smell of fuel & a small amount of "blow by" in the air box is normal,that's why there is a drain.You just got to be sure to reinstall the drain plug or the bike will run like crap.You don't need the "special Tool" to adjust the valves.You can use a Shrader valve (valve stem remover) or the head of a Robertson screw screwed on to a length of dowel will work well.
:2tup:

Old 04-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

A bit of rust on the chain side plates and on the sides of the sprockets is common in my experience. To clean the surface rust off the forks you might try a household cleanser and a damp cloth. It will have a mild abrasive to remove the rust.
As a young lad of 16 I used Comet cleanser on a car bumper with 8 years of surface rust. The difference was spectacular.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
PG tips

The rust on the forks is where there has been slight damage from something? I presume stone chips as its only on the front, (been there since before I got it).
I think the rust will go away easy when I remove the damage (maybe if I rub them down with fork oil after I clean/rework them?), but it is the pit and resultant bur (damage) for the want of a better description that is more what I am thinking of getting rid of, than the rust alone.
I have never seen or heard of comet cleaner here?
I just didn't want to rub it down with fine sand (emory) paper as it will cover a larger area, plus was thinking it might be a place rust will appear again, at least not as my initial plan of attack.
I might try some scotchbrite on a small rotary tool, opposed to emory paper to blend it down.
Never gone at a pair of forks so just didn't want to do more/worse damage trying to clean up the existing slight damage, then if I just leave them alone.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Emory cloth/emory paper will probably be fine if you wet it first. Lots of moisture will lubricate the surface. If there are no sharp burrs you have nothing to worry about.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
mrlmd1

WD-40 and lightly rubbing steel wool will take off the surface rust. Then coat it with some kind of wax to try and seal it.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
PG tips

Thanks for the tips, used a bit of WD-40 on the rims and exhaust (with a soft rag), helps clean it up good, I left it so any residue can evaporate before running.
I'll have a go at the forks during this week, will bring it for a run first.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #8
OldNTired

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG tips
Thanks for the tips, used a bit of WD-40 on the rims and exhaust (with a soft rag), helps clean it up good, I left it so any residue can evaporate before running.
I'll have a go at the forks during this week, will bring it for a run first.
That rust or whatever, on the forks, can probably be removed most safely by rubbing it with a cloth smeared with a LITTLE bit of any brand of whitening toothpaste.
I have even used that method on the bolt of one of my favorite rifles when my ex had stored it in a damp place for months. It was slick before that, but now it almost locks by itself! Anyway, coat it with a light oil after cleaning off the toothpasts.