Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > GZ250 Media

Old 06-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
Dana_GA

Love my 2001 GZ250

I paid $800 for this lil puppy. It only had 1,490 miles on it when I bought it, it now has 2,000 miles, all from me riding it back and forth to work everyday. I just got 74 mpg on the last tank (some guys here think that's wrong, so I'm going to try it again with this fresh tank of 3.7 gallons of 87 octane Chevron with Techron gas).

I cleaned the chrome last night with a brillo pad and removed lots of rust. I just ordered me some saddlebags and windshield bag from Jafron and can't wait for it to get here.

I wish I had started riding many years ago, I love the feeling it gives me.
I paid $800 cash for it - only had 1,490 miles
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 500

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
alantf

Re: Love my 2001 GZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana_GA

I cleaned the chrome last night with a brillo pad
OUCH! ..... seems the perfect way to ruin the chrome & let the rust in. Ever tried chrome cleaner? Applied with an old toothbrush it cleans the rims brilliantly. :2tup:
Old 06-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
Dana_GA

Uh Oh! I was told by several people that using a brillo pad would remove the rust (which I had alot of rust spots, so I used it everywhere) I tried the chrome polish/rust remover first and that didn't work to remove the rust. The chrome is nice and shiny now, is there a way to seal it, to keep rust from forming?
I paid $800 cash for it - only had 1,490 miles
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 500

Old 06-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Hi Dana. That is a nice looking bike. I have always liked the 2 tone tanks on the GZ. Can't believe the low price you paid, should have been more.

For future reference to anyone with rusty chrome. Rusty chrome can be cleaned up with a cleanser such as Comet, a rag and some dedication................well actually lots of dedication but it works.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
alantf

Quote:
The chrome is nice and shiny now, is there a way to seal it, to keep rust from forming?
Don't really know what products are available in America, but I'd have thought that some kind of polish would do the trick.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Uh Oh! I was told by several people that using a brillo pad would remove the rust .......
Lots of people in general have some mistaken concepts that are hard to get out of your mind once they are in there; the people who frequent here are not different. I think we have discussed this before.............

IF you used the original Brillo, which is just a steel wool pad with soap then you will be fine and our English friend from Spain is just having a brain cramp !! :roll:

You have to push REAL hard for steel wool to damage chrome.....as the chrome is much harder than the wool. 000 or 0000 plain steel wool is even less likely to scratch and is a better choice than Brillo.....and cheaper too.

Any good auto wax/polish or chrome polish will work.......but it won't be a permanent solution and you will have to "touch it up" occasionally with more polish......or a touch of the steel wool again if you don't do it often enough.

AND......you want to be careful with cleansers too because many contain tiny pieces of ground up ROCK (like volcanic pumice) and WILL scratch chrome if rubbed too hard. BarKeepers Friend is OK 'cause it doesn't have any rock in it.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #7
GZBrian

Nice picture Dana. Yeah you'll have lots of fun getting those little extras to spiff it up! Just remember to ride safe and have fun! GZ Brian
Old 06-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
fairweatherrider

Speaking of little extras, I just put on a Seiko handlebar clock. Looks good and now no need to wear my watch. I also put on a GPS holder for those trips to ..who knows where.....and saddlebags of which I posted a pic. Good luck on your bike Dana.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #9
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweatherrider
Speaking of little extras, I just put on a Seiko handlebar clock. Looks good and now no need to wear my watch. I also put on a GPS holder for those trips to ..who knows where.....and saddlebags of which I posted a pic. Good luck on your bike Dana.

I like the look of your new saddle bags. Were did you get your handlebar clock?

Old 06-05-2010, 06:02 PM   #10
fairweatherrider

Thanks, now when I'm out and want to bring something small home I can. I bought the clock on-line at clocks4bikes.com. They are very nice to do business with and have good products. The one I have was $32.00. You can call them if you like 1-866-856-5825