Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 11-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
Goose51683

Cardinal work sin

Hey guys, I don't normally post about anything personal but I'm not sure who else to talk to.

I made the cardinal sin or work, I gave my boss an honest evaluation. Had my evaluation review today and he busted my ass, took away one of my 2 phases (of turbines) essentially busting me from being responsible for over 100 turbines to less than 45. Thing is the items that he didn't like about the review were all factual and general workplace concensus, of course as soon as it's mentioned everyone else plays the game of pretending they were never involved.

Throw that on top of the fact that I have a senior coworker who is nothing more than a yes man, and another coworker who couldn't tell you the difference between venting and honest criticism if his life depends on it. Not to mention he favorite subject is talking about abortion and quantum physics and he doesn't understand why I don't talk to him daily, not to mention apparently he and his wife think I hate them. (no idea where the hell that one came from)

Gotta love days where everything does a 180 degree turn.

Not really sure what to do now, I've been considering looking for other positions already and I do by chance have a job interview Friday. Normally I would talk to the guys at work, considering they are usually the ones who start the bitchfest but now I feel like i can't trust anyone of them.

If anything I feel a little better about venting. Sorry for getting into my personal life but I needed to vent somewhere.

Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Cardinal work sin

Evaluations on the job are a fact of life. Sadly an honest answer is not what the boss wants. You chose to tell the truth and not what he wanted to actually hear. If indeed you have an alternate job position elsewhere to pursue then by all means go for it. Just keep in mind that it is easier to deal with the things you know of than an entirely new set of unknowns. Who knows? Maybe a change is what you need and this evaluation is the first step toward a change.
If you are in the position of having nothing to loose and lots to gain with a new job then give it serious consideration. Keep a us informed and keep a positive attitude at your job interview. Tell the interviewer why you think a change is needed in your life. After all is said and done Honesty is still the best policy. Lottsa luck Goose.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #3
Goose51683

Thanks Warrior.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

People don't like to be told the truth. And as you can see from your coworkers, people don't like any kind of confrontation at all.

You have balls, and the rest of the them don't. That's what it really boils down to. And while it sucks, there is really nothing to be ashamed of or worried about.

You're in Indiana, right? Are you not part of a union? I'm a little rusty on my human resources law, but unless you have paper trail showing that your work is a detriment and you actually needed to be downsized from your turbine management, then what that asshole just did is illegal. There is no quid pro quo supervising that is ever considered right. And you would certainly have a couple of legs to stand on were you to pursue that path. It's not like you keep your position because you give fake reviews and you lose it if you don't. That's not how a workplace is supposed to operate (I've been in the same boat - only it was more underhanded on the part of the supervisor. They would give side jobs and projects to other people even though I've been that guy for years.) If you really want to put on your big boy pants, just go over his head and talk to whoever is in charge of him. Things might get dicey at work for a while, but if you're committed to that place, then fix it. Be the people's champion or whatever, even if the yellow-bellied cowards don't deserve it.

If you're not committed there, then grab yourself something else and walk out the door. They don't deserve you.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
Goose51683

Nope, Indiana is "work at will". You can be let go with no reason and no cause anytime your employer feels like. Unfortunately, wind power has stayed very far from unionizing. When I got into wind you could be let go just for mentioning the word union.

We will see how my interview goes Friday, it would be a step up for me and make it easy to step out of this job. You would think working 50+ hours ever week just to make someone else look good, would give you at least a little right to have an opinion. Guess not. I'd love to walk in, flip a desk and say $^@& this place! and then walk out, then hop on my bike and ride for the sunset. Unfortunately the bike isn't running, and that would really piss my wife and kids off. lol Maybe next lifetime.

Thanks for the support guys

Old 11-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Hmm, a step up in your line of work and you already have an interview. Sounds like you have already made a decision in the back of your mind before your evaluation at work. Is your wife on board with your switching jobs?
Old 11-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
alantf

[attachment=0:2crkd2lq]01 Take This Job And Shove It.wma[/attachment:2crkd2lq]

:2tup:
Old 11-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Love the sentiments in the song but one must be careful not to burn any bridges that may come back to haunt you.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Just pretend the object is a turbine...

Old 11-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #10
Goose51683

I don't plan on burning any bridges but I'm not gonna put my blinders on. I'll keep my eyes open for any better opportunities and just go from there.