Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 07-15-2008, 11:18 AM   #1
music man

Protective Gear Recommendations

I looked around and did not see anything like this on here and thought it could end up being very informative and save a lot of us no gear havin' fools from buying junk that doesn't work. From what I have read (which could be completely inaccurate) leather is about the best way to go, but if we leave out leather what are the best materials as far as abrasion resistance, comfort, breathability and cost effectiveness.

So this is a question first of all for my own personal gain, but I figured if I did it like this and started a specific thread on just this it could be a very good place for all newbies and people wanting to get the right and safest gear to come and get some very good ideas.

If this is already been discussed to death on here and I just missed it just tell me I am a dummy and need to learn to use the search better.

Later :rawk:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-15-2008, 11:24 AM   #2
roscosmom

Send a message via Yahoo to roscosmom
Leather

Thats my question....it gets really hot and humid here in south louisiana! leather is not the best apparel during our summers. the winter and early spring would be fine to wear leather (and I will buy a leather riding jacket before it gets cold) but what can we wear thats safe and breathable? if i wear leather in the summer i will literally pass out in mid ride! lol
:blush:
Old 07-15-2008, 11:47 AM   #3
Sarris

Gear

There are a bunch of ATGATT, helmet, gloves, and riding jacket discussions under this "Safety First" topic.

Just read this topic or do a search. They have beaten this horse to death.

Just for y'alls info, I don't do ATGATT. It's too damn hot in the Tampa Bay area, so I ride in leather bike boots, jeans, t-shirt, and half helmet. I adjust this to a 3/4 helmet, leather gloves, & heavy leather jacket when it gets below 55 degrees or so in the winter. I've been down badly only once in 35 years of riding, and it cost me 6 months in a wheelchair so I consider myself fairly lucky. I am also a very conservative rider.

I know I'll take some shizit over this, but my its ass, and my choice. In the end, freedom of choice is what riding's all about isn't it?

:oops:

Old 07-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
roscosmom

Send a message via Yahoo to roscosmom
Sarris

I believe we make our choices in life. And with those choices are consequences...good and bad. SO, if you choose to ride that way its your choice and thats all that matters...right? I'm a newbie and will make choices as I become more experienced...good and bad ones I;m sure....but choices all the same!
Old 07-15-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

The amount of gear or lack there of that you wish to wear is definitely a personal choice. Less gear is an added amount of risk in case of mishap. More gear means you might walk away rather than be carried away from a fall. For you folks in hot climates there is a multitude of warm weather gear that offers protection and ventilation for cooling at the same time. Mesh riding gear with armour will not break the bank and can be comfy to wear. Leather is the best for abrasion resistance but warm weather will be your enemy in most cases although there are some leather jackets and pants with vents. I personally wear a mesh jacket with armour and a pair of Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants when the temps go up. They also have liners in case of rain and will also cut a cold wind when needed. Another alternative is armoured jeans. Anyone interested in a good selection to help make a decision might go to New Enough.Com . I have bought much of our gear there and have been happy with their products. Even with the USPS charges to the GWN we save a fair bit of money.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:13 PM   #6
music man

This is exactly what I was wanting is to open a discussion about the kind of questions I am about to ask. The mesh riding gear you have, what kind of protection is it gonna offer if you hit the pavement sliding. Is it just holding the protective armor in place on the important parts, and the rest of you is gonna still look like you got attacked by a cheese grater.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:26 PM   #7
rayzuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
Is it just holding the protective armor in place on the important parts, and the rest of you is gonna still look like you got attacked by a cheese grater.
probably. I have a firstgear mesh jacket. It has armor in the elbows, shoulders and spine. The rest probably won't hold up but I can't take wearing the leather here in the summer. To hot and humid. This is a good alternative (at least that is what I tell myself)
Old 07-15-2008, 09:19 PM   #8
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
I have a FirstGear mesh jacket too, and I think honestly think it keeps me cooler than going without it (no direct sun exposure). Since you can literally see through it, I hold no fantasy that it'll hold up to a long drag over pavement, but I'd like to think the points of major contact, where the CE armor is, would add to the survival chances. I have an Alpinestars leather jacket in the mail right now, so I'll be pretty much set for the autumn/winter except for overpants.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:23 PM   #9
LilNinja77

Mesh jackets are a bit of an oddity. Yes, they have armor; but the body of the jacket (which keeps the armor in place) will shred upon impacting the road. Personally I won't wear mesh, but as you may have noticed, I like to err on the side of safety. I've said up here before, if I ever stop caring about myself enough to wear mesh gear, I'll just not wear gear at all. I'd rather know that I'm not being smart, rather than trying to trick myself in to believing otherwise.......just my opinion. Not trying to bash anyone who does wear mesh gear, I mean it's better than nothing and since some people honestly believe it's "too hot for gear" I think it has its' place in the market

For myself, if it's too hot for gear, it's just too hot to ride......period. I say that 'cause by time it's that hot, I wouldn't feel safe riding to begin with.....heat can make your mind to some funny things and operating a motorcycle is already dangerous enough without throwing that in the mix. FWIW, wearing gear in the heat actually keeps you cooler than just wearing a t-shirt and shorts. With proper gear on, your sweat gets trapped and performs its' function----to cool you off. Without gear the sweat is taken off of you before it has chance to cool you, since the air hitting you is already so hot.

Most people confuse sweating with actually overheating, but it doesn't work that way........just because the fan on my bike turns on doesn't mean the bike is overheating, it just means it's hot. The biggest thing to help keep you cool in the heat while riding is being hydrated. Invest in a camelback, really everyone who rides in the summer should have one. As long as you're hydrated, everything else will be fine. Another trick a friend of mine showed me is this: Take a bandana and pack some ice in to the center of it, and twirl it around to make a little pouch of ice. Tie it around your neck so that as the ice melts the cold water will drip on to your chest or back (you choose, I like chest personally). If needed stop at a gas station and re-wet or re-ice the bandana.....it really works great!

I know, someone is thinking......but what about the shirt you're wearing, it'll get all wet. Well, if it's really that hot outside, you'd be a fool not to bring a spare shirt anyway because of all the sweating you'd be doing.

Just my .02
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~
Old 07-15-2008, 09:31 PM   #10
LilNinja77

Also, for anyone who thinks leather is too hot.........ever try perforated leather? It's essentially a leather jacket with hundreds of little holes so that the air penetrates it. If you'd like a pic I could try and get a decent one of my Joe Rocket jacket, just don't know how well the perforations would show up on the camera.
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~