Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 08-11-2008, 09:03 PM   #31
Jer

Right.

Honestly if I cant save 20% or more I'll go locally.

Saving $25 on a $170 jacket isnt worth not building the relationship with the local store.

I used to be in sales. Electronics and home theater. We'd have people get quotes from us, buy online, then come to me for help hooking it all up.

I'm not THAT GUY!!!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-11-2008, 09:12 PM   #32
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
I'm just going to quote myself from the other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
The constant problem with buying gear online is fitting (especially ebay). If it doesn't fit well, or at all, you're pretty much stuck with reselling it yourself instead of returning. Not a problem for some, but if you don't want to go through the trouble and don't want to collect gear that doesn't fit, then you should try something more return-friendly, or personal. Craigslist is alright because you can usually fit gear before you buy, but there are more risks associated with that than eBay or a brick & mortar shop.

I've said this before in the other thread too, but I'll reiterate it here. I believe unless the price is substantially different online, you should always try to buy from a brick & mortar store. You can usually get good deals there, and sometimes can negotiate for an even better deal. Additionally, you support your local economy, and can keep good personal contacts with your community riders. The better the personal connection is to that community, the more likely they are to help out in many ways other than just a discount on gear or services.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:22 PM   #33
Jer

Quote:
I've said this before in the other thread too, but I'll reiterate it here. I believe unless the price is substantially different online, you should always try to buy from a brick & mortar store.
Yup. I agree 1000%.

I wont buy something I havent tried on. And if I cant save 20% plus I'll buy locally.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-12-2008, 02:59 AM   #34
Water Warrior 2

Buying locally does have it's plus and minus values. Tires in the GWN are as good as gold to the dealer. That said, I just put new rubber on the 650. Went local to support small business and I know and trust them. Could have saved some money shopping across the border but if something is wrong with the tire after it is delivered I have to pay shipping to return it. So much for saving a buck or two. I would also have to pay for mounting and balancing again. I know my local dealer will take care of me with little fuss or bother. As for clothing we buy local or deal with deal with a reputable seller like New Enough. Their prices will make up for the outrageous taxes and tariffs at the border. We also check for shipping cost and type of shipping too. UPS has their own version of rape and pillage at the border. USPS works well if available.