Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 11-24-2008, 04:53 PM   #11
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Re: Winter Gloves

I've heard lots of people use these when it's really cold:

http://tinyurl.com/6cdy6l

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-24-2008, 08:50 PM   #12
Water Warrior 2

The Plexistar II sounds like a good option. If it keeps the wind off the hands well enough then heated gloves would be the bomb for colder temps. Alan, do you look over or through the shield. Does it come in shorter heights for shorter riders. (Why do I get this É when want a question mark É). New keyboard here. Being my paranoid self the shield Alan has would probably be the answer but I would be a bit leary of a low speed, no speed drop. Hence my image of a large shield, wide crash bars and the obligatory drop we all have eventually.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:01 AM   #13
alanmcorcoran

Water, The shield is probably currently at eye or eyebrow level. Since, to look at the near horizon, you are not looking straight ahead, bit at maybe a 70-80 degree angle, I am looking through the top inch or so of the shield. (I am 5' 11". )

I think the shield is currently set at close to its "natural" height, that is, the cutouts for the hands are perfectly aligned with the handles. However, it could easily be raised or lowered an inch or two without any major engineering miracles (Moedad effed with his a bit I think, and he can confirm/deny this.)

By drop do you mean accident (as in dropping the bike?) I'm not sure I understood what you meant by your last two sentences. (I would classify the Plexistar II as a moderately big windshield.)

Old 11-25-2008, 10:17 PM   #14
Water Warrior 2

My concern would be damaging the shield in a low speed, no speed drop. Nice wide crash bars may be the answer to save the shield.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:19 PM   #15
roncg41677

I was just talking to an experienced rider friend today about this very thing. It's getting into the lower 40's after sunset here in central FL. He actually said he's heard that some people use electric socks on their hands. Just thought I'd pass that bit on .

It was 39 degrees the other night as I rode home in my nice mesh gloves. My fingers were frozen when I got home. I'm looking for some too. Here's what I'm eyeballing.
~ Matthew 6:33 ~

Old 11-25-2008, 11:32 PM   #16
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Those gloves are shit. Bulky and give absolutely no feeling in the hands. Plus they just don't keep your hands warm. You would be better off with the socks.

Alan said this best:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
In the glove department, in the ski world there seems to be a tradeoff between size, warmth and price. If you pay super big bucks you can get thin-nish gloves that keep you warm. If you pay moderately high bucks, you can get ones that will keep you plenty warm, but are a little bulky. Cheap ones are both bulky, and, don't keep your hands warm. Not sure if mittens are a good idea on a motorcycle, but dollar for dollar, they do keep your fingers warmer.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:03 PM   #17
purslant

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Understand. The Plexistar II is not the cheapest windshield, but it's not that expensive either. I think it was like $124. I've seen winter gloves for over $60 so, it's not a big leap. If you are freezing your ass off everyday, the bigger shield will help with that as well, keeping the wind off your upper torso and neck.

In the glove department, in the ski world there seems to be a tradeoff between size, warmth and price. If you pay super big bucks you can get thin-nish gloves that keep you warm. If you pay moderately high bucks, you can get ones that will keep you plenty warm, but are a little bulky. Cheap ones are both bulky, and, don't keep your hands warm. Not sure if mittens are a good idea on a motorcycle, but dollar for dollar, they do keep your fingers warmer.
Where did you buy your Windshild from?
Old 11-26-2008, 12:06 PM   #18
purslant

alanmcorcoran I'm about 5'8" tall would I be able to adjust the windshiled you discribe so I would not be looking at the top edge.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:18 PM   #19
purslant

alanmcorcoran took a look at your post on the shield you have, and looks like something I might consider.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:00 PM   #20
alanmcorcoran

Purse,

The place was called Accessories International.

http://www.accessoryinternational.com

Assuming our height differential is equally distributed between legs and torso, I think you'll be able to adjust the shield so you are not looking at the top edge. If you want to look OVER it, that might require a more radical mounting, but, may still be possible. Most likely, you will be looking through it. After a few days, you don't really notice the windshield that much anyway. Moedad also posted on this windshield. His pictures and Easy's comments were what I based my decision to try on one on. The manufacturer is National Cycle.