Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 03-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
adrianinflorida

Open face helmets

Anyone want to recommend some good ones (Comfort, etc)? I currently use a full face, but the warm (Read HOT!!) weather is coming, and I'm thinking of getting an open face or 3/4 helmet for use in the hot weather.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-03-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
music man

Re: Open face helmets

http://www.scootervillemn.com/extras/he ... af655.html

I have a black one like this, I like it, it is very comfortable, right when i got it I ordered a Tinted face shield for it. I don;t wear a full face so I couldn't really make a hot/cold comparision for you, but it doesn't really get too hot in there to me. It also has a very excellent field of vision, I can barely see the actual helmet in my vision.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:07 AM   #3
alantf

I wear an "Airoh" brand, "top one" model. It's matt black, & it's paintable,(if you want to). They also do it in shiny black, plus other shiny colours (to match your bike). You can get them with/without a peak, but they're best with, as the visor pushes up under the peak to protect it when it's not down. Been wearing it for the past 4/5 years. Very comfortable. Over here, the equivalent of $130. My wife also wears one, & she's had no problems comfort wise. We both wear glasses, & no problems with that either.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:42 AM   #4
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Airoh's are nice helmets, but unfortunately, they aren't available in the States. No idea why. If they were, this Airoh Tyger would be mine in a heartbeat.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:03 AM   #5
music man

Man patrick I love that helmet, so you can't even order one of those here in the States?

Old 03-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

You can get some UK shippers to send it to you, but you'll be spending around $50 for shipping alone. That's already half the price of the helmet itself.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #7
adrianinflorida

Bought this one yesterday, Vega Nitro NT200:
http://www.vegahelmet.com/nt200.html

Also includes a clear full face visor to use instead of the "upper visor"

Paid $50 from a dealer going out of business. Love it, it's lightweight, comfortable (I normally have to wear an XXL full face helmet, this one fits better in XL). An open face helmet is a huge difference from a full face. I can hear every noise the bike makes, less wind buffeting, it seems and generally cooler (temperature wise).
Old 03-30-2009, 04:46 AM   #8
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianinflorida
less wind buffeting
Have you tried it out at high speed yet? At around 70 mph the wind gets under the peak of my airoh (no windshield on bike) & tries to push my head back. Not a big problem - just warning you to watch out for it the first time you get up to the higher speeds.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:09 AM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Both Lynda and I wear full face helmets. We have ridden in very hot temps and both agree a full face is hot with or without a windshield in front of you. Whenever we consider an open face helmet we just remind ourselves that 27 % of injuries involve the face and jaw. It's all about the amount of overall risk you are willing to take. Please ride safe, but ride.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:29 AM   #10
alanmcorcoran

I have one of each. I use the 3/4 for my non-highway commute, usually on the GZ, never more than 50mph. I still wear the full face for everything else. I actually can see better out of the 3/4, especially checking for lane changes and blind spots. Plus less screwing with the glasses, and, can take my last sip of coffee with the gear on.

Once I get going I always have the face shield down. I've been hit in the face shield with all manner of things, from clumps of mud, to small stones, to large bugs, to tiny birds (or maybe it was a bat.) Lots of crap blowing around out here and lots of crap blowing off trucks.