Someone sent me this today - here's another reason to wear a full face helmet--
"Smoked" visor?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-02-2009, 09:16 AM   #22
daddylaci

Re: Open face helmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianinflorida
Anyone want to recommend some good ones (Comfort, etc)? I currently use a full face, but the warm (Read HOT!!) weather is coming, and I'm thinking of getting an open face or 3/4 helmet for use in the hot weather.
Ok. Here is my experience:
There is two things. One: In summer time the temperature is so high, you need to cool your head against heat-stroke. In an open face helmet your face is cooled by the wind, but your head is in the helmet and insulated from the wind around your face by the helmet lining. Consequently your head stays hot. If you would like to cool your head, you need a helmet with air ventilation. It is better if you can close the air slot. I show this:

You can see on the pictures that this helmet is an open face but has an air ventilation system in it. There is a closeable air slot at top of the helmet. You can see the two positions of the access arm. The air goes into the helmet in front side and goes out the back side. Moreover you can see more intakes above the driver's forehead. These give more fresh air for your head. In this way your head is cooled. If the temperature goes down you can close the slots and no airflow, no cooling.
Secondly: In summer time you will sweat, your head will be wet. This moisture will enter into the helmet lining. After a couple of riding, the lining will be dirty and smelly. You have to clean. If the lining is removeable you can clean easily, but if not the ceaning is more difficult.

In my opinion these things are very important that you have to consider before you buy an open face helmet.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:42 PM   #23
Skullsplitter

Hi all.
I've just bought a "Premier Touring 3" helmet, and it's really great! The best compromise money-quality!!!
give a look: http://www.premier.it/

Old 03-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #24
Joel K-Man

Just wear some safety ( or other ) glasses when riding in an open face helment. A hit in the eye by a bug would hurt like crazy and probably blind you and put you in the ditch.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #25
dentheman

Yesterday I went to a dealership and test rode a 2009 Vulcan 500 (sweet!) so I wore one of the helmets the dealer had for that purpose. I tried a full face helmet, but couldn't put it on over my eyeglasses, and if I took the glasses off I couldn't put them on when wearing the helmet. So I tried an open face helmet and put my glasses on easily. Another lesson learned.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #26
Water Warrior 2

Hot or super hot I have a full face helmet on. I also wear glasses with either full face or flip face. I honestly think if it is too hot that you need to be half undressed to ride then it is too hot to ride. Yeah, I'm a ATGATT kind of guy. If it is too hot to gear up there is an A/C Ranger waiting for me.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:44 PM   #27
mole2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
Yesterday I went to a dealership and test rode a 2009 Vulcan 500 (sweet!) so I wore one of the helmets the dealer had for that purpose. I tried a full face helmet, but couldn't put it on over my eyeglasses, and if I took the glasses off I couldn't put them on when wearing the helmet. So I tried an open face helmet and put my glasses on easily. Another lesson learned.
The solution is a modular helmet. You move the chin bar up to the open position and put the helmet on with or without your glasses on. If without then once you have the helmet on you put your glasses back on. You then pull the chin bar down until it locks making it a full face helmet. It's also great on a hot day to stop, open the helmet and get a drink of water. I have both the modular and a 3/4 helmet. Mid summer you have to use the 3/4 helmets here.

Both of mine are Vegas and both are on closeout sale at Jafrum.com. Sorry for the big pics but they're from the Jafrum site.

Full Face

3/4 Helmet