Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 09-10-2009, 06:41 PM   #21
dhgeyer

Re: Ear plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
what kind of earplugs are you using, i cant hardley hear the pipes on my bike or the engine rev and if that's the case im sure not gonna hear any thing else. the little bit of noise i can hear is faint except the wind. i can still hear that its just not loud. :crackup
The disposables I use are "Leight Sleepers", from CVS Pharmacy. I've used other brands of more or less the same thing with about the same result. They have a decibel reduction rating of 32. About the highest I've seen is 33.

As I said before, the reusable ones I use are "Moldex Pocket Pak", which I got from Max's BMW dealership. I don't know what the db reduction rating is, but I don't think it's as high as the disposables. I don't ride any bike with loud pipes, so at any normal speed I hear the wind over my exhaust. I can hear the engine mechanical noises, and traffic and other external noises about as well as I would sitting in a car with the windows up. I hear sirens blocks away. If one blew right behind me, I'd probably, well, we won't go there. :shocked:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-10-2009, 07:34 PM   #22
Moedad

Eh? What'd you say?
Old 09-10-2009, 10:40 PM   #23
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
Eh? What'd you say?

huh..

Old 09-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #24
mrlmd1

Was in Walmart a few days ago and stopped by the ear plug shelf. I bought a pack of 4 pair of Hearos 32dB plugs for less than $2.00 and have been using them for the past few rides.
What a difference with reducing not only exhaust noise but wind noise. I don't think I'll ever go on a ride lasting more than 5 min. without them. You can still hear everything else going on around you, they don't stop all sound.
If you have a loud bike just don't have the neighbors or spectators see you put them in before you start it up and drive away.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #25
alanmcorcoran

I think those are the ones i have. My only complaint was the little plastic sticks that you put them in with get pushed on by the helmet and on a long ride, they get irritating. (Long being more than an hour. Wore them for about 6 hours a few weekends back, then the next day rode six hours without. Had the ringing/ocean sounds after the day I went without.)

Old 09-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #26
mrlmd1

Mine are just soft foam rubber without any handles or sticks on them. You roll them in between your fingers to about 1/8" diameter, put them in your ears while holding them in with a finger 'till they expand inside your ear canal, then they just stay there until you pull them out. They don't even touch the inside of my helmet.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #27
dannylightning

I just want to say who ever said that with a full face helmet you still get a load of wind noise.

well i went out and got a really nice full face helmet. i figure the weather is starting to get kind of cold and it would be great for cold weather riding. even tho it makes my head like 3 times too big for my body haha... but when i put that on and go for a drive. i can hear every thing perfectly, except for the wind noise, there is practically none. all i hear is the bike motor, pipes and ALL the normal street noise, witch i can not usually hear that well over the wind noise.

with the earplugs i can still hear a bit of wind noise and nothing else. so if you want a nice wind noise free ride. well you might want to get a nice full face helmet. the one i got is made bye hjc. its got some wind tunnel ventilation system witch really lets the fresh air come in to the helmet as long as your are moving.

but so far this is the only thing that i found to stop wind noise and gave me exceptional hearing for every thing else going on around me. if you dont mind wearing a full face helmet all the time that might be the best way to go.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #28
VTXorcist

Send a message via Yahoo to VTXorcist

Must depend a lot on the helmet. With my fullface, if I ride more than 30 minutes, I experience some mild temp hearing loss. I have a scorpion exo.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:26 AM   #29
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXorcist
Must depend a lot on the helmet. With my fullface, if I ride more than 30 minutes, I experience some mild temp hearing loss. I have a scorpion exo.
yesterday i went out in my full face and it was extremely windy, i did experience a little wind noise but nothing to speak of really. usually the wind noise is very minimal with my HJC full face helmet, it cuts the wind noise down big time. around town you usually get hardly any and on the highway you do get a bit of wind noise but its not right in your ear you can just kind of hear it whistling around the helmet i guess you would say. but no nasty sound blasting directly in your ear.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:42 AM   #30
bonehead

I'm looking for earplug headphones to wear under my helmet so I can listen to the radio. The music should cancel any wind noise. /gotta have tunes!!!