Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 10-06-2010, 11:38 PM   #21
burkbuilds

Re: Stebel Air Horn

Once again the Stebel air horn saved me from an accident. Two weeks ago, as I was coming home down my street and only two houses from my driveway, a 4 door truck pulled out of a side street directly in front of me just as I approached the intersection. The driver clearly looked up the hill in my direction, and I would have bet we even made eye contact but he pulled out anyway. I hit the brakes hard and started to slide and somehow had the presence of mind to hit the horn button hard. The driver came to an immediate stop and I let off the brakes and swerved around the front of his truck instead of plastering the passenger front door head on. or laying it down and sliding under the cab. I pulled into my driveway and the driver of the truck stopped and apologized and said he never saw me. I was glad he heard me though. Chalk another save up to the Stebel Air horn. :2tup:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-07-2010, 12:53 AM   #22
Water Warrior 2

Sounds too close for comfort BB. Do you run with high beam ? Driving lights to complete a triangular appearance for cages to see ?? Headlight modulator on high beam ?? I know you have some added extras but can't remember what they are. You could run a couple LED MR-16 lights to be more visible. In the past I had 20 watt amber MR-11 halogens but they were fragile and expensive but very noticeable. An ideal light would be a pair of amber LED's mounted on the forks. No power draw to worry about but still visible to oncoming traffic. A couple truck LED signal lights would be very effective and not really expensive in the grand scheme of things. A couple strips of amber reflective tape on the lower portion of the windshield, strips on the forks facing forward and to the sides. Let your imagine go wild and make a spectical of yourself.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:58 PM   #23
burkbuilds

WW, all good points and certainly something to consider, although at the time I was running high beams but it was daylight and therefore a little less visible. The "pulsating"

lights would definitely get people's attention better. One of my co-workers was hit last Friday while out getting lunch. Somebody turned left right in front of him and he

ended up smashing his crash bars up and they wrapped around his leg and pinned him to the bike until the paramedics got there. Bad cut on his leg and a really swollen knee

were his main injuries, I guess he was lucky that he didn't T-bone the car. Still he missed several days of work, will take several weeks to heal up and smashed up his bike

too. I guess traffic is bad everywhere, but it seems like Atlanta drivers are always in a hurry and trying to squeeze the last little bit out of every commute. The traffic here

is usually bumper to bumper and you still see people weaving in and out like they could actually get somewhere significantly faster by doing so. Crazy! I can't remember the

last time I went anywhere down here that I didn't have to "dodge" somebody to keep from getting run over at some point during the trip. I've gotten so gun shy about it

that I have gone out of my way to find side streets that don't put me in heavy traffic even though it may add 25% to my normal trip time. Atlanta has a lot more job and

educational opportunities than my home town, but I hate living here because of the traffic and the crime. I'd have to get an amazing job offer to keep me here after

college is over. I'll take less pay and smaller town life over this mess any day.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-08-2010, 04:14 PM   #24
Water Warrior 2

Less pay and small town life is good. Not so much hurry hurry and time to smell the flowers. Just be sure of many recreational activities in the area. Being in a small isolated town is not good either. You will die of boredom.