Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 09-17-2018, 10:31 AM   #21
bachelorb

Quote:
You also may have to adjust the rear brake light switch. 09-15-2018 08:37 AM

Quote:
........... and the brake rod. I had to also move the activating arm on the spindle.

Thanks guys!!! I got er done.... Its kind of funny, the brake light switch setup hasn't changed since the 1970's..... I guess if it works........

Now I'm waiting on that flasher relay.... it should be here today.... Then I can either be relieved or start the whole process of going through the schematics again.......

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-18-2018, 10:40 AM   #22
bachelorb

....ugh..... not the relay...... I'm going to test the switch again this morning. If it's not that, that leaves a blue wire thats easy to get to and an orange/green wire thats near impossible to get to to test.... Based on my past experience..... I'm betting its that last one...... Also based on my past experience.... since its so hard to get to..... it will be the last one I check........
Old 09-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #23
bachelorb

alright!!!! This is absolutely frustrating!!!! If I unhook the back turn signal grounds the fronts work fine. If I then touch the grounds to the bike the rears flash as they should..... but..... if I have the grounds hooked up, or ground the leads to the bike......THEN turn on the switch.... nothing works.... I can't even untouch and retouch the ground. I have to turn the switch off, then untouch the ground, turn the switch on, then retouch the ground to get the rear signals to work.....

I have already replaced the flasher relay..... This is way above my pay grade!!!!

Old 09-19-2018, 05:40 AM   #24
alantf

Just a thought Been going over the wiring diagram (and my diagram is a poor drawing in places) but the power to the turn signals link up to the signal light flasher bulb (both signals use one bulb) Have you checked this area? Just clutching at straws for you, but just maybe.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #25
bachelorb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf View Post
Just a thought Been going over the wiring diagram (and my diagram is a poor drawing in places) but the power to the turn signals link up to the signal light flasher bulb (both signals use one bulb) Have you checked this area? Just clutching at straws for you, but just maybe.

I'll take a look at that Alan.... Your talking about the flasher indicator on the dash right? Something else occurred to me was I ought to look at the tailight ground. When the front turn signals are flashing, the tailight blinks ever so slightly.....

Old 09-19-2018, 11:49 AM   #26
alantf

Sounds definitely like a ground fault. Sometimes that can be a bad bulb, grounding through the other filament in the bulb, though, so check that out, too. (take the tail light bulb out, and see if that makes any difference)
Old 09-20-2018, 08:29 AM   #27
bachelorb

Yesterday was doing the stuff so I've been supposed to do around the house, so no working on the GZ. I've also got a new wiring problem, I was playing the guitar in a group at church last night and for some reason, my guitar pickup quit working...... Have I told y'all how much I "LOVE" chasing around missing electrons.........

Speaking of wiring issues.... I first cut my teeth on em on this 1973 Honda CB175.

I was thinking how much newer this bike was that than that one etc.... etc.... then I did the math....When that picture was taken, the Honda was 8 years old. My GZ is 12!!!

One more cup of coffee and its off to the garage. The whole day is dedicated to the Suzy.... Last night, someone from church offered to come over today to help me. I told em they better not... when working on this, I can string a bunch of compound words together that would make my army drill sergeant blush!!!!......
Old 09-20-2018, 05:14 PM   #28
bachelorb

Alright..... I have been up one side and down the other with this wiring issue. I have isolated it at every connector and tested it. I isolated the front from the back, the side from the side, I even I even wired the turn signal relay outside of its connector and tried it. Nothing..... So.... I had about settled on the switch.... but then I tried to jump across the connector to eliminate the switch, and nothing. So I put it back to where the fronts should work and then nothing. I reseated the flasher relay and the fronts worked. arrrrrrrgggghhhhhh!!!!!!

So its got to be one of three things:

1. switch- maybe the contacts have worn down enough to where there is an increased resistance

2. Wiring harness - if anything, it would have to be right near the fuse box and maybe its something right there or a pin on the relay connector. I've tried cleaning them, but no luck

3. Two bad turn signal relays? The second one came in a new box.... I'm kind of discounting this though because the front turn signals blink when the back ones aren't hooked up.

Its about $100 for both the wiring harness and the switch I may just have to start shelling out the money...... again.....
Old 09-24-2018, 11:17 AM   #29
bachelorb

I'm waiting on the wiring harness and switch to show up. Both should come in today. sooo while I'm waiting on the mail I'm going to answer "Why the GZ???"

Well..... A few years ago.... my wife and I sold our farm.... bought a large truck and trailer and set off to see America. We did that for a year when my wife came down with a rare disease and we had to settle in somewhere.

Move forward a year (.....and a new kidney.....), and we decided the travel bug had not been fully satisfied, so we bought a small motor home and have used that for the last year. Unfortunately with a motor home there is no separating the vehicle from the home, so whenever we wanted to see the sights, we'd unhook everything and then rehook when we returned... between that and making sure our pets were cool (....or warm....) when we were sightseeing got to be a hassle...

So here we are in the next step of the plan. We bought a small covered trailer and needed a lightweight bike to go with it (....and for me a project to keep from going crazy....).....so a GZ250.... We'll be pulling the traier behind the motor home with our mountain bikes, kayaks and the Suzuki.

of course now...... all this bike is doing is making me crazy!!! .......but hopefully this will all be straightened out in the next couple of days.....
Old 09-26-2018, 02:07 PM   #30
bachelorb

Wellll..... the good news is is that the turn signals are fixed..... The bad news is is that it was none of the parts I ordered....

After hooking up the switch and it making no difference, I installed the new wiring harness. Installing the harness is not a hard job at all. I was being super careful and it probably took an hour total including the zip tying to secure it. But when I hit the turn signal switch it didn't matter. Still no working turn signals.

Since I already had gone through the whole back and middle, I concentrated on the front..... and the way I fixed was..... I hooked the front turn signals up wrong..... I accidentally hooked up the turn signal switch wire up to the front driving light wire, and both the right turn signals worked. Then I did the the same to the left and both the left turn signals worked.

As long as the driving lights were not functioning, all the turn signals worked..... so thats what I've done. I have no driving lights right now, but the turn signals work fine and I'm happy!!! Maybe in a couple of weeks after I get over this frustration, I'll try again. But for now, it's going to be like it's going to be.