Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 03-21-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
alanmcorcoran

Are any of you guys machinists?

It occurred to me, that, now that Patrick has taken the site to a new level and legitimate users are at an all time high, that it might make sense for one of you more entrepreneurial types to launch a GZ aftermarket bidness. I know quite a few of you like to screw around with the stock stuff and yet there seems to be a constant scrounging for parts/kits. Leaving The Topic That Dare Not Be Mentioned aside (think more hp) some stuff that comes to mind include:

1) a center stand kit.
2) a "perfect" trunk plate, pre drilled to fit the pillion holes as well as several aftermarket trunks. (this should be both easy and cheap for someone with a shop.)
3) Aftermarket lights with perhaps a means of boosting the juice output (this one is probably not possible)
4) Engine guards (Not sure if the Suzi ones are adequate - seems like there is debate on these.)
5) Buzzer kits, add ons for blinker indicators.
6) Single spokes.
7) The World's Bestest GZ seat kit.

Plus you could re-sell popular add-ons (such as the Plexistar windshield, tires, headlight bulbs) that we know fits the GZ well. And buy (or get donated) wrecks for parting out. Sort of a clearing house for fallen GZ's. Could even buy low/sell higher used GZ's as they clearly tend to be owned for a while and then recycled.

Softie? Are you back to work? I might be willing to help with startup funds if anyone thinks the market is big enough. I think that trunk plate is a good place to start, although I am sure a bunch of you will tell me that the ones that come with are fine.)

Some possible names: "Mr. GZ" "Just GZ" "Total GZ" "GZ World" "Easy's GZ's" and..."GeeZee CreeZee"

One concern I have is that anything that costs more than .35 cents might be considered an extravagance. Part of the GZ demographic that might make it tough to do business.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-21-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
music man

Re: Are any of you guys machinists?

Thats actually not a bad business idea there Alan.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
It occurred to me, ......
Even before I looked at the actual message, my thought was: "What kind of hair-brain idea does he have now"; you didn't disappoint me! :biggrin: :poke2: :crackup

No, actually I think it is a pretty good idea......as a side-line. I doubt it would generate enough $$$ to be a full time business.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
mr. softie

Just thinking about it has made me tired, I'm going back to bed now...
Old 03-21-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
alanmcorcoran

As The Fountain of Bad Ideas (see my signature line - [it takes one to know one]) I believe the correct expression is "Hare-Brained" as in IQ of a small furry animal. I'll admit this one has a fair share of Things That Can and Will Go Wrong.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

I like this idea. There is several people here in Tulsa that are making custom VTX products. They are made to order and take a little longer to get, but the point is that you can get the product if you need them.

It's a little less hare-brained than it is workable. With a decent shop, some fabrication skill and extra time, it could be done pretty easily.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:35 PM   #7
alanmcorcoran

As you all know, I live in fruit and nut land where space is scarce and rules and regs are rampant. If one of you Mid westerners lives on a big spread and is interested in a GZ junkyard/parts kit sideline I might be able to help you get started. I think the key is to start with something that a lot of GZ'ers want. I really want a nice trunk on mine, that looks built in, so maybe this is just my way of getting that done. I'm afraid one day I'm going to miss the secret slot with my bungee cord and my Sony Vaio is going to go skittering down the highway.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:56 PM   #8
adrianinflorida

As an engineer I can do a lot of the design work (Autocad, SoldWorks, etc) and even, maybe get prototypes made. But my source for fabricating can't do any real volume (He works for me in the facilities department at the University where I work, and does some little stuff in between real jobs for me, jack stands, etc). If we can find a machine shop that can deal in any volume (large or small), we might have something here.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
adrianinflorida

Quote:
I'm afraid one day I'm going to miss the secret slot with my bungee cord and my Sony Vaio is going to go skittering down the highway.
The secret slot under the fender trim?

I made up some bungie net anchors using the 4 fender bolts on the side of the rear fender. Take a bolt about 3/4" longer than the stock one, tighten a nut up against the fender trim and use an acorn nut out at the end of the bolt. that leaves a 1/2" or so gap to attach bungie nets, etc to on those 4 bolts. I'll do a writeup with pics soon.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
I think the key is to start with something that a lot of GZ'ers want. I really want a nice trunk on mine, that looks built in, so maybe this is just my way of getting that done.
I vote for a driver's backrest bracket; one that would adapt a "standard" backrest for another bike for use on the GZ. The passenger seat has two bolts in front in just the right place. :cool:
I can see making one for less than $5 and selling it for $20 or more. Good markup.