Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 05-29-2009, 06:43 AM   #11
bonehead

Re: Big bike handling vs. GZ handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
Yeah, I know what you mean.

The Harley is like........EEDOO!! EEDOO Capt. to helmsman. Right full rudder.

You have to plan your moves sooner and execute them with deliberate higher force actions.

It's strange swapping between the HD and the GZ and definately takes a few minutes to acclimate.

The worst thing to get used to is the turnsignal switch(es) ere mounted on each grip instead of all in one like the GZ.

They are however, self cancelling. Cool, huh?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-30-2009, 09:15 PM   #12
Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by primal
Easy, do we have the same definition of drifting?
No, apparently not.
In this context, it is running wide in a curve.
I think everybody ELSE understands that.
Next you will be telling us that you ride like the guy in the video.

:facepalm:

Blackbird: What did YOU mean when you said "drifting" in the curves?
Yes. I meant drifting in curves. New tires are coming ... along with more practice (riding time).
Old 05-31-2009, 02:33 PM   #13
burkbuilds

A lot of things can change the dynamics of how a bike handles. Center of gravity is another variable in that equation. When I changed over to my Vulcan 500 I couldn't tell much difference in how it handled compared to my GZ; however, I hadn't considered that I had "customized" the seat on the GZ so that it was 2" higher than stock so it didn't actually handle the same as a stock GZ because that raised my center of gravity. Then when I bought the Vulcan, although it is a little heavier bike, the factory seat height was about 28" (same as a stock GZ) and I didn't really notice any difference in how it handled until I customized the seat on it and raised it up by 3" in height. Then I noticed that I had to lean harder into the curves. It took me about 150 miles of riding to feel like I was back in full "balance" and able to handle the curves again as well as before. So just adding 3" to the height I was sitting changed the dynamics of how the bike handled noticeably for me. That might also account for some of the difference you feel when you go from the GZ to a bigger bike if that bike has a higher seat height than the GZ. Now that I've gotten used to it, I actually feel like it handles the curves better than the GZ but it did change the way I lean in a turn from the way I was leaning on the GZ. The first time I went into an S-Curve after raising the seat height I was glad nobody was coming the other way because I was on top of the double yellow lines before I knew it and if somebody had been riding the line coming the other way I'd probably be history.
Your point is good that whenever we change bikes we probably need to ride a little more conservatively until we get the feel for the new bike because they do handle differently because of a variety of reasons.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:08 PM   #14
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
That might also account for some of the difference you feel when you go from the GZ to a bigger bike if that bike has a higher seat height than the GZ.
Good post!
I think the difference is primarily the higher center of mass that you mentioned......whether it be from a higher rider position or just generally more mass to deal with and relatively higher.

The more mass you have in motion, the more energy it takes to deflect it from straight ahead.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:02 AM   #15
Water Warrior 2

The higher center of gravity and mass can sometimes be a bonus in the twisties. With proper lean and counter steering you can control the bike weight and mass quite easily. With that control you have a lot of fun without the fear of running wild and white knuckled into a mountain. A good/very good rider on a Vstrom(not me)can give a sport bike rider a lesson or two. Not saying the Vstroms are sport bike killers but they are quite well known for doing a lot of things well.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:37 PM   #16
burkbuilds

I'm starting to notice that too Water Warrior. The GZ was easy to handle but I never felt comfortable with as much lean as I do with this new, slightly heavier, slightly bigger tired bike. Once I got over being nervous about leaning a little more aggressively I found that it handles curves really well. I think part of my confidence comes from knowing I've got a little more power available to straighten me back up if I lean into her a little more than I meant to. I don't know if I'm putting this into the proper terms and somebody will probably jump on what I'm saying but whatever.
Yesterday I hit some really sharp S-curves and basically went from a pretty aggressive right lean back up and over the top and straight into a pretty aggressive left lean and then straightened her up as I came out of the curve. The bike handled it with ease and I felt totally in control through the entire maneuver but I would have taken that a lot slower on the GZ and no where near the amount of lean that I put into the Vulcan. (I ride this stretch pretty often so I am very familiar with it and it's in a flat section of roadway too.) Maybe there really isn't any difference except in my head but it sure felt different to me. Maybe the slightly heavier weight of the bike makes it feel like it has better contact with the roadway, it just doesn't feel like it's gonna "come out from under you" when you lean aggressively and I never felt that way on the GZ, although I never had any problems with the GZ sliding out on me at all, so again, maybe it's just my perception in my head.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:47 PM   #17
Water Warrior 2

You are correct. Power to come out of curves is best. You need to plant the bike with some power which allows you to lean and go for it. Or you can just cruise along and enjoy riding at a smooth pace without stretching any limits. I enjoy both depending on traffic conditions and how I feel. Not many riders will ever find the extreme limits of their bike which means my Vstrom 650 has more than enough pizzaz for me.