Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 04-17-2021, 06:21 PM   #1
05Qhuey

Thumbs Up Trying to rebuild carb

Hey all, new here

My cousin and I have been trying to solve an issue on my gz250 where it is dumping fuel into the airbox adn refuses to stay running for long or at all, he messed with the float and it was stopping the flooding right for a while, but gave back out.

Main problem, I am trying to find a carb rebuild kit for the bike as the one that I purchased ended up being the wrong one and had oversized jets, Mikuni doesn't have a kit that I can find and nothing on Ebay matches the specs that I have found. Is there any kit/catalog that has everything needed to rebuild the carb that I need?

Any help as soon as possible is appreciated

Thanks all

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-18-2021, 06:25 PM   #2
Stilkikn

Haven;t needed to rebuild my carb but check this link out. https://www.motorcycleid.com/suzuki-...-rebuild-kits/
You'll need to put in the year of your bike and you should be able to come up with the kit you need. I see they have a Mikuni kit listed as well as several others. You're problem might not be in the carb, possibly a faulty petcock valve. Several threads here with discussions about this. Have you tried searching this site for carb problems?
Old 04-22-2021, 12:51 PM   #3
05Qhuey

I bought the allballs carb kit before not realizing nothing in it is the same spec as our bike. I've tried looking between the forums when I had more time, but nothing very helpful came of it. The float and it's valve are shot, the jets are shot. The petcock is functioning perfectly. The only solution I found is basically is ordering all the parts I need off of partzilla, but that comes way over $200. And I doubt I can trust a carburator someone is selling used off eBay that it's in good condition, I'd rather not go through buying and returning carb after carb.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:28 PM   #4
Stilkikn

Been looking for a rebuild kit for your bike, harder to find than I'd thought, but found one here, https://www.denniskirk.com/parts-unl...prd/174981.sku. According to them this kit fits all GZ250s from 1999 - 2010. I can't vouch for that, as I said I haven't rebuilt, or even had a need to clean mine so haven't ordered any carb parts. But you should be able to look at the pics on the page and compare to what you have seen on your bike to give you a good idea if it's the right kit. No floats in this kit though. Floats are not normally provided in rebuild kits since seldom needed. If your's r truly bad you may have to order them separately.

Have to ask you one more time about the petcock. When engine is not running and valve is set to On or Reserve no fuel flows, correct?

BTW, before spending $200 on parts to rebuild your carb, I'd look into just buying a new carb.

Last edited by Stilkikn; 04-22-2021 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:58 AM   #5
05Qhuey

Yeah that carb kit is basically identical to the one I already have, when set to on fuel flows, reserve might it's been about a week since I've seen the bike, off it doesn't flow. Carbs are about 150-180 from what I've seen and like I mentioned I'm not fully sure my patience with buying one that would possibly not work and need a rebuild as well, the float assembly is only $20 something with the valve it lifts to seal off the carb, but the jets are what adds up in price fast and the ones I have are shot. The carb kit being wrong kinda demoralized me on caring much after not being able to find a proper kit. Plan is to probably look into it more and find the specific jets to find replacements that won't add to over 200, or see if my cousin wants to buy it since he has more time, patience, and money to throw at it and just get myself a new bike

Old 04-23-2021, 03:39 PM   #6
05Qhuey

Based on everything I have found in terms of the carburetor, my choices from cheapest to most expensive is going through eBay ones hoping one of them is a great condition, buying the parts off of partsilla for a round 250 dollars, or the parts department at a dealership near me has a brand new OEM carburetor for $418
Old 04-24-2021, 08:11 AM   #7
Stilkikn

Ok, you just stated that when petcock valve is set to ON fuel flows. With OEM petcock, fuel should NOT flow when set to ON unless engine is running. I can't say for sure that your carb is good or bad but if fuel is flowing with petcock in ON position and engine is not running then your petcock is not functioning correctly. I would look into that before ordering any carb parts.
Old 04-24-2021, 11:03 PM   #8
05Qhuey

So I contacted my cousin who is doing the work on the bike and he confirmed that basically the petcock is bad based on the information on the forum. I went on a ride today with a buddy and his father, lending me their 88 Honda Shadow 750 (Amazing bike), after the ride using K&L Supply and DennisKirk he was able to find the carb rebuild kit that seems off of the numbers to have the proper jets, and the petcock rebuild kit that suzuki would use. If both work this upcoming weekend when I install them with my cousin, I will post the links so they are on the forums for people to see. Any other issues arise I will be back for investigating! Thanks for all your info Stilkikn.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:18 PM   #9
05Qhuey

So update:

We got the bike running today, the carb kit from Dennis Kirk was useless, none of the jets matched numbers and the float valve was a hair too tall and just always sealed. The float valve on mine was in good shape so we adjusted the float again, cleaned the jets the best we can, new spark plugs, and changes the oil. She's running currently and did well on the 10 mile ride home, still have to test the K&L supply petcock rebuild kit so I will update when I get the chance to do that, but currently reserve functions as off and wont let fuel flow no matter what and off functions like on would and fuel only flows when cranking so I am just sticking with that until next week when I have time again
Old 05-13-2021, 06:12 PM   #10
05Qhuey

Another update:

For better or worse terms, it's still fucked lol. float valve or whatever gave out again and 3 gallons of gas have flooded the air box and oil. I am throwing around the idea of getting a "brand new" apparently ebay carb, or just giving up as I am just going to get something more popular so there is a bit better support. I'm going to leave links to the only two that are on Ebay, sellers seem legit and there haven't been any complaints it seems on them. They look correct, but they also look like stock photos lmao.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35343000789...oAAOSwSF9gWdxN

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22440571539...kAAOSwkftgYxjl

Tags
carburator, carburetor, fuel