Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > GZ250 Media

Old 03-07-2013, 03:24 AM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: My 2000 GZ250 Bobber Project

Wow, that is one fascinating color change. You must have cooked the oil pretty good with the high temps. Here is what "I" would do just to be safe. Get a new oil filter and some more oil for an oil change. Run the bike just a minute or so to slightly warm it up and drain the oil and change the filter. You don't want even a small portion of cooked oil in the engine. Make sure the oil is motorcycle specific or anything else that is certified for motorcycle use. Good old Shell Rotella 15-40 will work well and is cheaper than most. Our last 2 bikes were happy with it as a steady diet. Shell finally got around to a moto certification after they realized how many riders were already using it.
Hopefully the engine was not damaged. You now know why you never leave an unattended bike running. Also just be very thankful a child did not get attracted to an unattended bike and get seriously burned.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-07-2013, 08:39 AM   #12
rik05171981

That is very true I did learn a valuable leson
Old 03-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

....How long was it out there running on it's own?

That's crazy.

If the internals got hot enough to discolor the external metal... Don't skimp on oil for the refill. Use the best stuff you can find. I would take it for a slow speed run around the neighborhood. You need to monitor how quickly it burns oil and feel, through your butt cheeks, or through your feet, any strange vibrations or anything that feels like that indicates youve done some internal damage. My biggest concern would be the main bearing and how long it is going to survive after that kind of treatment...

I am a little curious about the glowing red exhaust. I understand overheating of the engine, but I don't see why the exhaust would have gotten that hot. Unless the air fuel mixture was off. Check for an air leak...

As I'm writing this, I'm thinking up all kinds of crazy ways to try and keep this thing alive... I would run one main jet size larger. You'll be a little rich, but that's a good thing and can help keep the engine a touch cooler in the future. I'm even considering using a cheap oil to see if the bike will survive and then dump it and replace it after 25 miles or something and see what comes out.

I really hope it all works out.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #14
rik05171981

I plan on today to run it for a couple miles real slow then dumping it.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #15
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Once you feel comfortable enough to get it out on the road and push it up to speed again, I would recommend having someone tail you... just to be safe... at least the first time.

Also, it might not be a bad idea to give your main case bolts another check to make sure they didn't loosen up. Go easy on tightening though if any of them need it. Any flaws in the casting process of your metal will be exposed now. I don't think it's going to actually be an issue. Just be aware of it. Baby gloves until you feel confident that the machine is still sound.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #16
rik05171981

I definitely will thx
Old 03-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #17
isaac

That's bloody amazing what you did to that thing by running it for so long. Thanks for the lesson.

That said, I'd do an oil change with oil flush liquid and run it then change it out again. Check the filter for blue metal shavings. If it got that hot and started shredding a bearing you'll see it in there. If not you may just have another good story to tell about the bike. But that's pretty insane.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #18
rik05171981

So far the bike is running great need to do a valve adjustment. Im working on getting something to adjust the valves first but as far as top end I've gotten it up to 75mph!!!!!! Not bad for a lil 250
Old 09-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #19
FsuBiker

Love the blacked out look! I was thinking about doing the same on some of the chrome parts (headlight,speedo,pipe,shocks,blinker,rear fender pieces,etc..). How did you paint all of that stuff? Did you take it all apart? What kind of paint did you use?
Old 09-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #20
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FsuBiker
Love the blacked out look! I was thinking about doing the same on some of the chrome parts (headlight,speedo,pipe,shocks,blinker,rear fender pieces,etc..). How did you paint all of that stuff? Did you take it all apart? What kind of paint did you use?
A rattle can of heat resistant flat black paint would be a good idea. It won't cook off the pipe and still match the rest of the bike.