Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 03-11-2021, 11:21 PM   #1
bobbybucs

slight leak by gear shift

Have 2001 with 10+k miles. Notice a slight leak that we think may be from around the gear shift shaft. Have looked up the seal and see that it is around 5 bucks. Anybody got an idea how hard it is to change? Can I just take the Gear Shift Arm Link off and get to the seal, pull, reinsert and done or is there more to it? Does the Engine Sprocket Cover need to come off?

Think this is the only leak we have.

Thanks for any help.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-16-2021, 07:38 PM   #2
Vegas Street Rider

Sorry no one is stepping up to answer your question. I try not to respond to things I am not sure of. If you have a dealership nearby, you swing by and ask. I have done that on a few things with my '09 and then I knew what to expect.

Good luck and safe riding.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:37 AM   #3
Stilkikn

Appears that most of GZ gurus have moved on. I've only had mine for a few weeks and have not changed any seals on the GZ so can only offer my opinion for whatever that's worth. First things first, are you sure that the oil you're seeing isn't oil dripping off the chain? Pretty important to positively identify oil leaks before diving in.

It looks to me like all you'd have to do to change that seal is remove your shift lever and maybe the linkage bar and then the seal would be easily accessed and changed. As far as removing the engine sprocket cover I don't think that would be necessary but might give you a little more working space. But it's only three bolts to remove it and only takes a minute or two so why not remove it and that way take a look at the condition of your sprocket at the same time. Apply some grease to the lips of the seal before installing.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-21-2021, 07:44 AM   #4
Donald McPherson

I did a quick Google and found this easy fix.