Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 06-21-2020, 10:51 PM   #1
Jpbishop0911

Engine revving high when clutch in

I have a dilemma. During a ride, when i come to a stop, my engine will continue to rev high. It will eventually slow down to its normal idling speed after I play with the clutch. Does anyone know why this is happening? Does something need to be adjusted? TIA.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-22-2020, 12:20 AM   #2
Vegas Street Rider

It could be that the fuel level adjustment in the carb is not correct. Another issue that could cause your symptoms is that the diaphragm in the fuel gas cock is sticking and not allowing the fuel flow to diminish when you let off your throttle.

I had the same issue with my '09 GZ and rebuilt the fuel pet cock and it solved the problem for me. The kits are available online. Last time I checked, they were about $30.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:19 PM   #3
Zombi3dog

Were you able to fix this problem? I am having the same issue with my 02. I already rebuilt the petcock, and it seems to only rev high when the clutch is pulled in only when I get to fifth gear. I'm thinking of adjusting the pilot screw, but I am unsure on where to get a new plug if I have to replace that plug.

Last edited by Zombi3dog; 09-08-2020 at 09:33 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 09-09-2020, 12:18 AM   #4
Vegas Street Rider

It doesn't make sense that it only revs in 5th gear. Have you lubed your throttle cable recently? Maybe it is sticking when you crank it up to full throttle. Just a thought.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:19 PM   #5
Zombi3dog

It might do it in other gears too but I have really noticed it when I'm cruising at around 55-60 mph in 5th, that the bike would bog a little and then when I pull the clutch in, the bike will just rev up for a few. It will eventually go back to normal with in a few minutes or if I put a load on. The throttle doesn't seem to be sticking. I put hands on the throttle on the carb and its closed all the way.

Here's a little background on the bike. It's an '02 with under 3500 miles on it. It sat for about 6 years before I bought it. I rebuilt the carb and was able to get it started. I also rebuild the petcock, replaced the chain, and brand new air filter. The exhaust smells a little rich so I am assuming I need to adjust the pilot screw. I just ordered a new plug for it so when that comes in, I'll adjust it.

Is there anything else you think I should take a look at? I mean I have been able to ride it to and from work almost daily. About 50 miles round. And the smelly exhaust and revving up with the clutch in seems to be the only issues.

Old 09-09-2020, 04:34 PM   #6
Vegas Street Rider

I know you said you rebuilt the carb, but maybe the float is getting hung up or set wrong. No criticism, just trying to problem solve. Other than that, not sure which direction to steer you. Maybe someone smarter than me will come on and provide additional advice.

Let us know how it turns out after you do the pilot adjustment. I don't think that is the issue though, but I've been wrong before.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:04 PM   #7
Zombi3dog

I didnt think about rechecked the float level! Thanks! I'm going to recheck that tomorrow.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:30 PM   #8
Zombi3dog

I just finished readjusting the float. It definitely was off. Took it for a test drive and she seems to be running a lot better! I'm pretty confident that was my problem. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:23 PM   #9
Vegas Street Rider

Glad I could be of help. I have the 2009 GZ and used it to commute daily until I retired. I still have a lot of fun riding it for pure pleasure now. Not a lot of decent roads to ride on but I am just outside of Lake Mead National Recreation Area and it has a nice two lane road that is fun to traverse. I usually go full throttle for a 50 mile stretch. Everything else is interstate as it is a lot of miles between places here in Nevada.

It is the only place where I can lose the chicken strips on my tires. Not like the bigger bikes I used to ride where I could knee drag in the corners. I'm too long in the tooth to do that kind of riding these days. Stay safe.