Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 10-01-2008, 11:25 AM   #21
Easy Rider

Re: 236 mile range, plus 17 on reserve for my GZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
I never got an answer to my question: if you completely fill it with the bike on the stand (leaning) then how much more gas would go in if it were straight up???
There isn't a single right answer. It depends on exactly what you mean by "completely fill". Once you get the entire filler neck covered, regardless of the lean, it is intended that you can NOT put in any more. If you are really anal about it, you might be able to sneak in a little more but some of it would probably be pushed out when you put the cap on.

I personally think that you can actually get MORE in when it is leaned......if you keep filling until the neck is covered and it won't take any more. THEN it will be a mess when you put on the cap (probably) and if the tank heats up rapidly, the gas might run out with the pressure (somewhere).

Bottom line for me is I ain't gonna try it to really find out. I suspect the difference is pretty small, regardless of which way it goes. The recommended proceedure is to fill in until the gas just barely touches one side of the neck.....when on the side stand .....and I intend to stick to that. If you REALLY want to know, try it for yourself.....but you might want to have a hose handy to siphon off a bit if/when you don't like the result.......and some rags to mop up the spills.

A big, old, retired guy from North Georgia who doesn't do NASCAR.......AMAZING !!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-01-2008, 06:19 PM   #22
El Diablo

My two cents is during the hot summer months, the gas starts to expand in the tank even as you are filling it. If you fill it too much and cap it, the pressure will cause some gas to seep out from under the cap and run down the tank as you drive off. Scared the boys on several occasions. A rag is a useful item to have around when getting gas.

Over the last 1,500 miles I have averaged 70.5 miles per gallon. 95 % city driving. I fill up with the bike leaned over on stand if we are taking a poll.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Old 10-01-2008, 06:20 PM   #23
El Diablo

Oh, almost forgot 5' 11" 210 lbs

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers

Old 10-01-2008, 08:53 PM   #24
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo
Oh, almost forgot 5' 11" 210 lbs
What ?? Did I miss something ?
Are we having a beer gut contest ?? :biggrin:
Old 10-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #25
Chris

Seems like there are an awful lot of big guys on this net. I'm the retired big guy near Atlanta who is not a NASCAR fan. Amazing, I know, but I just cannot do another hobby.
A buddy and I rode 142 miles in the Georgia mountains today. He is a newbie who bought a Harley!! He is quite timid on the HD and he ought to be. Problem is that I ride faster than he does on the highways.
I learned (in the military) that in a group you put the slowest vehicle in the front. This way the others don't run off and leave him. So when my buddy and I started riding together I got in the front. But he just could not turn the throttle to keep up with my GZ250. And I am a slow rider! So now we ride all over Georgia and I follow him. He is quite amazed how well my bike runs and gets 75mpg+. His Harley is a little stronger and a heck of a lot louder with six times the engine. Out of a stoplight I am right with him if not pulling ahead. He is toying with the idea of selling the Harley and buying something like I have. He'd get a 250cc cruiser and about $5000 in change!
Speaking of newbies, how did I get on this board as a newbie?? Seems like after 12 bikes I'd get more respect. Not that it is deserved.

Chris near Atlanta

Old 10-02-2008, 08:13 PM   #26
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

"Newbie" is just a rank based on number of posts, nothing more. You're a newbie to the forums, not to motorcycling.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:23 PM   #27
alanmcorcoran

Newb status is tied to your posts. Get windy and you will quickly become "respected."

Or donate some money and you can jump righ to "sponsor."
Old 10-07-2008, 05:02 AM   #28
Chris

Filled up yesterday after 220 miles on one tank. Still going, but surely was near empty. Put in under three gallons, got 77mpg. Happy about that.
Thinking of making a 700 mile trip next week. From Atlanta area down to beautiful Jeykll Island on the Georgia coast. Not committed yet, but sure want to do it. 300 miles in a day seems like a lot, but that is how far it is. I'll carry light camping gear and stay in the state park there. Let you know.

Chris
Old 10-07-2008, 09:13 AM   #29
Easy Rider

Quote:
300 miles in a day seems like a lot, but that is how far it is.
If you average 50 mph, that's 6 hours.
How does your rear end get along with the seat?
That's the only real problem I had with 300 mile days.

Stop often, even if just for a couple of minutes, drink plenty of water (yes, even if it is not real hot) and vary your seating position some.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:14 PM   #30
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
300 miles in a day seems like a lot
Chris, on Sunday I rode from 2:30-5:30pm and then again from 9:10pm until 11:35pm with no ill effects, including the assular area. On Monday felt fine - even played racquetball competently. I didn't cover 300 miles in that time, mainly owing to the fact that I was averaging about 25 mph, but the time in the saddle should be comparable. I'd also ridden over 70 miles the day before.

I have read on other forums of riders doing 700 miles and more in one day, so it is possible. I'd say go for it.