Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 07-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #11
technocat

Re: traffic lights

I just contacted the Washington State Patrol, and this is the reply I received.

Quote:
Current Washington state law does not allow for a motorcycle to stop and proceed through an intersection with a red light. Legislation has been proposed in the past to address this issue, but was never passed.

In 2009 (SB 5482) the legislature did pass a law to require that during the maintenance or monitoring activities, but subject to available funds, all vehicle-activated traffic control signals that do not currently routinely and reliable detect motorcycles and bicycles just be adjusted to do so…Where motorcycle and bicycle detection is limited to certain areas other than immediately before the stop line or crosswalk in the center of an existing vehicle-activated traffic control signal, those detection areas must be clearly marked on the pavement at the left turn lanes, through lanes, and limited right turn lanes…

If you are not already doing so it is suggested that you stop in the middle of the lane by the stop line or look for the marked detection areas to assist you in triggering the traffic signal. If you still find that the signal is not detecting the motorcycle it is suggested that you contact your local police department or Washington State Department of Transportation to report this so that the light can be reviewed to determine if the sensitivity of the light needs to be adjusted as outlined in RCW 47.36.025 (http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=47.36.025 <http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=47.36.025> ) to detect motorcycles and bicycles.
I guess I'll just have to call the police department for every instance I have of getting stuck.... O_o

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-20-2011, 08:34 AM   #12
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

In that case, double check that there are no cops around and juts go for it

I'm not actually telling you to do this.... that would be wrong.
But that's what I do.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #13
Scooting250invegas

i have found that if you put some "rare-earth magnets" the strong ones of course on the bottom they usually work very well.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:25 AM   #14
alantf

Please excuse my ignorance,but what is a "rare earth magnet"? :??:
Old 07-24-2011, 06:30 AM   #15
JWR

Rare-earth magnet
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ferrofluid on glass, with a rare-earth magnet underneath.

Rare-earth magnets are strong permanent magnets made from alloys of rare earth elements. Developed in the 1970s and 80s, rare-earth magnets are the strongest type of permanent magnets made and have significant performance advantages over ferrite or alnico magnets. The magnetic field typically produced by rare-earth magnets can be in excess of 1.4 teslas, whereas ferrite or ceramic magnets typically exhibit fields of 0.5 to 1 tesla. There are two types: neodymium magnets and samarium-cobalt magnets. Rare earth magnets are extremely brittle and also vulnerable to corrosion, so they are usually plated or coated to protect them from breaking and chipping.

The term "rare earth" can be misleading as these metals are not particularly rare or precious;[1][2] they are about as abundant as tin or lead.[3] Interest in rare earth compounds as permanent magnets began in 1966, when K. J. Strnat and G. Hoffer of the US Air Force Materials Laboratory discovered that [[YCo5]] had by far the largest magnetic anisotropy constant of any material then known.[4]

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."

Old 07-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #16
alantf

Ah...........THOSE rare earth magnets! :??: :whistle: O_o :techy:
Old 07-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #17
frempath

The small sensors on top of the traffic signals are emergency vehicle preemption sensors. They are set to recognize the strobe lights patterns on your local EMS vehicles and change or hold the light for the emergency vehicles. While they are not magnetic induction loops, remember that law enforcement takes a dim view of people attempting to mimic them in any way.

frempath

The older boy's GZ250 for about town.
Previous:
XJ 650
GS 450L
XJ 650
XS 650
TS 185
ATC 90
Old 08-05-2011, 11:06 PM   #18
ecr959

How can I find out , (where would that kind of info be ?) if they use those sensor lights in NYC ?
Old 08-06-2011, 06:09 AM   #19
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecr959
How can I find out , (where would that kind of info be ?) if they use those sensor lights in NYC ?
Do you know any ambulance drivers or firemen?
Old 08-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #20
mrlmd1

As far as I know from reading posts and forums on this subject, it's not only the small magnet or the magnetic field these sensors respond to, it's the mass of metal it senses, which is really the same thing I guess. There is a great amount of discussion about the use of magnets per se and if they actually do anything at all.
Read this article about some tips to trigger the sensors--
http://m.wikihow.com/Trigger-Green-Traffic-Lights
Here is an article written for bicyclists but it applies to motorcycles too.
http://www.humantransport.org/bicycledr ... ection.htm

Attached is a technical article about inductive loops and a diagram of them and how they work.

If you do get a really strong magnet, like with 50lbs of force, be wary of picking up something on the road which can get into your chain or wheel.

If the sensor in our area is pressure activated, responds to weight, you may be screwed.
The surest way to change the light, if safety permits, is to get off the bike and hit the button at the crosswalk.