Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 07-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
Rionna

Freeway & Wind

Hi,

I just rode my GZ "The Beast" to the dealership which is 50 miles away for the 600 mile maintenance. Actually, I was at 735 miles because of the last week and the weekend. I've had a lot of fun on hills, winding roads, state routes, night driving, and parking lot drills. It had 2 miles on it when I purchased it late May. Wouldn't you know that today the first real long distance experience on the highway, I get a rain storm (yes first time in the rain) and gusting winds. For the first time, I felt unsure and a tad bit anxious. I was able to control the bike, but felt like I was drifting sideways a few times. How realistic is it for me to be concerned about getting blown off the highway? For the knowledgeable vets, what advice can you give a newbie for windy rainy riding other than stay at home? I wanted to turn around but was midways. Thanks in advance.

Rionna

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
geezer

Re: Freeway & Wind

keep your hands at the ready to fight against the wind. so if the wind hits you on the left side, push the right handle bar to counter act the wind blowing you to the right. other side vice versa. also how much do you weigh? im 220 and have never had any issue with being blown around on the bike. also in the rain, follow the car in front of you. not to close f course. use there tracks,this will keep your bike from possibly hydro plaining on some deep water. one day you might learn to love riding in the rain, if i expect it to happen its pretty fun to ride through a storm, now if i dont expect it...thats a different story :fu:
Old 07-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
JWR

Keep hands loose and elbows bent.

Don't fight the bike, just go with the flow.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."

Old 07-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
Rionna

Thanks guys for the advice. I know I will encounter this situation again, and I want to be prepared. Geezer you're right, I find rain soothing just not when I think I'm going to be swept over a bridge. As for my weight, Geezer, you want a girl to divulge it all. Let's just say I'm 5'6 and a little more than 75 pounds lighter than you. But with your advice I'll be able to tame my Beast. :rawk:

Thanks

Rionna
Old 07-12-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
geezer

now your giving my images :drool: lol, not sure what the other guy means but dont go with the flow if the flow takes you into a wall or another car. but he is right, dont fight with the bike, ever. and that wasnt what i meant to say. just a push of the handle bars is all it takes to keep it on track.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:34 AM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Rain is or can be fun for a while. Best invest in a rain suit for the next chapter in your riding career. Also good for cutting a cold wind when you are dressed lightly. Take time to ride in light wind to get a feel for it. Stands of trees on the side off the road can have a scary effect. You are pushed one way and then find yourself headed the other direction because the wind is blocked by the trees. Get past the trees and your direction changes again. You will not get blown over but the direction change is unnerving till you get some saddle time in wind. Big trucks passing the other way can block/unblock the wind too. Be aware of that too.
Next you can tackle rain grooves in the road. Lots of fun when the bike does it's dance under your butt. Let it, it won't fall. Stay loose, don't tense up and giggle a lot.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #7
Suncross

Riding in the rain is fun. Just be sure to remember your training on cornering. Most of that stuff about losing traction happens mostly while riding in the rain in my experience. Hell, even paint on a hot day is a bit slippery.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #8
Rionna

Thanks for the advice everyone. I appreciate the tips and will use them. Going to purchase a rain suit this weekend. I was a little shaken after my 1st experience with strong winds and rain, but I will make a point of going for a ride when it rains so that I can build my skill level. Can't wait for the Beast to get out of the shop so I can ride. Thanks again!
Old 07-13-2011, 07:52 AM   #9
alantf

With regard to the rainsuit - You might find a cheaper one at a camping store. The bike shop ones tend to be a bit expensive. I bought mine at a camping store, around ten years ago, and it's still going strong. All I need to do is give it a spray of reproofer each year, then back into the saddle bag it goes. :2tup:
Old 07-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
cayuse

camping store :2tup:

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA