Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 08-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #21
Gz Rider

Re: Freeway & Wind

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-14-2011, 04:03 AM   #22
varangianknight

G'Day, just thought I'd let you know that i know exactly how you feel! I picked up the bike at the dealers and had to ride it about 400 kms to get it home, that day! I hadnt ridden a bike for about fifteen years so i was pretty nervous to begin with. About 100 k's from home ran into a sudden thunderstorm. Slowed down to about 60 kmh ( about 40mph i think) Was going fine, nervous and scared, but fine. Then, hail. then heavier rain!
After this i called an experiened rider friend and he said he would of just stopped and waited. The odd thing was that i felt like i wasnt being unsafe. Was i just ignorant of how dangerous it was or can you trust that kind of feeling.
Also had trouble deciding which part of the road to ride on. In my lane there was a dry patch in the middle, but i was taught that is where the oil is. On the left and right of my lane there was lots of pooled water in the car tyre tracks. Which is the bast part of the road to ride in in the rain? Anyway, made it home and was amazed that i wasnt to sore or tired, what an amazing bike!
Old 11-14-2011, 06:14 AM   #23
Rionna

Congrats on your new bike! You're right, it is an absolutely amazing bike. I'm glad you made it home safely! I've encountered rain on many more occasions since the initial time. I try to wait a bit before heading out or stop at a spot to wait a while when it starts to rain because I'm still not a big fan of strong winds and rain on the GZ. I'm real cautious because like others posted, here in Ohio, the cage driver's IQ seem to drop when they see a few drops of rain and they drive erratically.

The more experienced riders will have the best advice for you as to how to ride safely in the rain. I'm still a new rider with just 2000 miles this riding season under my belt. Welcome to the forum!

Old 11-14-2011, 06:39 AM   #24
alantf

Blasted rain!!!!! Set off for the local town, this morning. Just a few spots of rain, but a little cool, so I just put on a body warmer. Got 2Ks down the road, when the heavens opened! I was so wet when I got to town that I collected my printer inks then went back home. I had planned on going to a friend's, a few Ks away, but I was so wet that I would have been dripping all over his furniture. The rain had started so suddenly that I was soaked before I had a chance to stop & get my waterproofs out of the saddle bag, so I thought that I may as well stay wet, & get a change of clothes when I got back home.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:43 AM   #25
alantf

varangianknight, where abouts in Oz are you? I've got friends on the west coast, in Secret Harbour, near Perth.

BTW, how much did the bike cost? My mate says that everything in Oz costs an arm & a leg. :??:

Old 11-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #26
Water Warrior 2

Mother Nature has a way of taking the fun out of riding. She also teaches us that riding in wind and rain can really be living on the edge of disaster. Getting absolutely soaked to the bone is one thing but a temp drop will also affect your body temp which is extremely dangerous. Had this happen on my first long distance ride and almost learned a fatal lesson. Warm and wet is doable but cold and wet is not a safe way to ride. Throw in some wind and your reaction times really suffer. Hypothermia will easily ruin your day.
One thing that really scared me was how vulnerable I was in the rain. We normally don't associate a real danger with oncoming traffic but rain really loads the dice against a rider. In heavy rain an oncoming car can splash up a wall of water from the road and there you are on a bike heading into it.
Maybe it is just old age but probably a touch of wisdom too. I never leave home without rain gear. I have enough storage for rain gear, a change of clothing and other old guy needs to help cover my a$$ if disaster strikes.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:33 AM   #27
varangianknight

alantf, about 400 kms east of melbourne and the bike cost 2675, ride away.Managed to pick it up pretty cheap as the dealer was going out of business.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #28
lenkf

Rain suit: I avoid biking when the streets are wet because I have a 4 wheeler option. However, I do have a rain suit I keep JUST IN CASE stuff happens while 2-wheeling. Especially if the rain suit is inexpensive, make sure to also keep rubber bands handy to wrap around wrists and ankles. Maybe a strap to wrap around waist. If I expect a bit of rainy weather and can't avoid it, I also have a couple gallon plastic storage bags for my feet, also with rubber bands
Old 11-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #29
Water Warrior 2

Actual rain booties are available and will probably work better in the long run. Or just get water proof riding boots. I have had some for 4 years now and only had one start to leak slightly last year. Sprayed the boots with 3M water repellant and all is good.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:35 AM   #30
varangianknight

I live by the coast now and just found out that you dont have to be on a highway to have a scary experience with wind! Headwind, icky. Tailwind, Cool. Sidewind @#$^* scary! Slowed down, TRIED to relax (how the heck do you relax when death may be only a breath of wind away!?) and hunkered down.