Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 08-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
DJK

Chain slack

How hard should a person push to check the .2-.6 inches of chain slack? I adjusted my chain because it was too loose, but now I'm thinking maybe it's too tight because I have to push fairly hard to get the chain to move that distance. Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
blaine

Re: Chain slack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJK
How hard should a person push to check the .2-.6 inches of chain slack? I adjusted my chain because it was too loose, but now I'm thinking maybe it's too tight because I have to push fairly hard to get the chain to move that distance. Thanks.
You should be able to move it up & down easily with your thumb.Just keep in mind,that the chain gets tighter as the wheel moves up.
:cool:

Old 08-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

My method. Bike in neutral. First you have to find the tightest position of the chain by rotating the rear wheel and checking. Normally there is some variation with all chains so don't be alarmed. Pick a spot equal distance between front and rear sprockets. I will just lift the lower length of chain and measure for the proper amount of slack. I use as much force to lift the chain as I would to pick up a cup of coffee. It works for me but others will chime in with their advice too. A little extra slack is better than being a bit too tight.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
buud

Hi there,
Asked the to mechanic double check the slack after he replaced the rear wheel subsequent to cleaning the brake drum because the chain slack was a good inch at least. His partner checked it and said that it is right; they do some slack because he said when hitting bumps the suspension and wheel move putting strain on the chain if its too tight.

I haven't had any problems and I have hit my share of bump, bump, bumps.

Being new to all this, the mechanics and mechanical information is kind of like going to the doctor, if I'm not going to take his advice what's the point of going to him to begin with... so I guess we'll see what happens.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
Gz Rider

Old 10-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
buud

yes, but they are not a dealer, strictly maintenance and repair. Its a big shop and they have a ton of bikes there. They also came highly recommended by another mechanic with a good reputation that doesn't do Japanese bikes.

This season is about shot in the Chicago area (getting cold) so I hope to learn how to adjust the chain myself in the spring and plan on heading toward the half inch mark in increments starting with the spring prep. It seems like the experienced riders and the book says .4 to .6 slack so I think I'll join the pack.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #7
Gz Rider

Old 10-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gz Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by buud
I hope to learn how to adjust the chain myself in the spring
:2tup:

A shop may say that they are willing to work on a Suzuki but if Suzuki has not blessed them, Suzuki would probably say it's not a Suzuki shop. I've never seen a shop where they have manufacturer certified mechanics but didn't sell the bikes also. (That doesn't mean too much given my limited motorcycling history though).
The only shops I have been disappointed in had the Blessing of Suzuki. I'm sure that would apply to Yamaha too if there was a Yammy in the stable. Some times we luck out and find a great shop and other times we really get in deep doo doo with the available dealers in a given area.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #9
Gz Rider

Old 10-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gz Rider
Just to clarify, I didn't mean to suggest that just because Suzuki blesses a shop, that that shop is any better or worse. What I was going after (but forgot to finish) was that if the shop does not have the Suzuki manuals (as I expect that a true Suzuki shop would) they might not know the correct chain slack to set for this bike and instead just used some type of "Rule of Thumb".
Agreed. My initial experience with the dealer I bought the Vstrom from was a less than wonderful experience. At the 1000 km inspection they used the Rule of Thumb system and the chain slack was pretty much nonexistant. They were a dirt bike oriented shop and no Vstrom service manual was in the shop. They could have just checked the owner's manual but they didn't. Big "Fail" on their part.
The actual failures of many dealers is the reason(IMHO) for motorcycle forums and their members. We can't depend on them in many cases and forums are a pool of experience and methods that aren't written in a foreign language and translated 4 times before getting to us in a little owners manual that makes no sense on occasion.
Starting to have rambling thoughts so I'll quit while I'm ahead.