Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 11-18-2011, 02:15 AM   #1
varangianknight

Riding Defensively?

Im new and have heard the term 'ride defensively' before, but now being ON a bike im paying a bit more attention to it. But i dont quite know what it means. Ride slow? Assume everyone else on the road is out to get you?! indicate early?!. I know that there is a very important pearl of wisdom in this saying, but can you help me learn what this basic meaning is? PS, every time i've got a question like this should i post a new subject?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-18-2011, 03:52 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Riding Defensively?

Riding defensively will keep you alive to ride another day. My suggestion is to buy, borrow or steal a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. Read it cover to cover and practice safe habits. Probably the cheapest life insurance you can buy. You will gain confidence and skill on 2 wheels far sooner. Take a riders course if you haven't already. Wear proper safety gear too.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:57 AM   #3
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

An aggressive driver is someone who zips in and out of traffic, taking "control" of the entire road and avoids people by using speed and general ass-holery. Two cars form a block that general drivers cannot pass. The aggressive driver either tailgates and honks at the people in front of him or he flies around them on the median, hanging a one-finger salute out the window.

A defensive driver, on the other hand, will anticipate possible negative situations and/or avoid them all together.
Those same two cars are blocking your ability to pass them and get into another lane. The defensive driver will simply slow down, alter his tempo, reach a state of zen and continue merrily along, behind them. Or if you notice idiots who are texting while driving, leaning over to grab a CD from the passenger floorboard, applying make-up, or otherwise simply not paying attention, the defensive driver should notice this behavior ahead of time and stay away, thus avoiding even having to use their amazing motorcycle handling skills.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
Gz Rider

Old 11-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
greatmaul

+1 to all, and to Proficient Motorcycling by David L. Hough

I always try to drive defensively, even in a car. Part of it is looking well ahead and evaluating the situation in front of you constantly. Try to imagine what could possibly go wrong, and then instead of waiting to see if it will, take steps to avoid it before it happens. Cover your brakes and slow down when approaching an intersection, for example, even if the light is green. That way, if something happens, you've already started slowing, and your hands and feet are already where they need to be for maximum braking.

"Street Strategies," also by David L. Hough, is a little book full of tip after tip about situations that can arise when you're riding a motorcycle, and what you can do to prevent, avoid and/or survive them. I picked up mine on eBay for next to nothing.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
burkbuilds

Good advice from all previous posts. I also try to be aware of traffic coming from side streets or oncoming traffic preparing to turn in front of me. They don't always see

motorcycles even when you feel you have made eye contact with the driver. In these situations try to make yourself as conspicuous as possible, for example, don't ride

up close to a vehicle in front of you, they may block you from view of the oncoming driver who might then turn quickly behind them and run you down or cause you to

T-bone the side of their car. If you think of a lane as divided into three sections, move your bike into the section that makes you the most obvious to the approaching

driver whether they are coming towards you or approaching from a side street. As someone else already said, be aware of your options in case they pull out anyway,

where can you go to avoid getting hit or hitting them and what vehicles are around you or approaching from behind you.

You should also keep an eye out for loose gravel on the road, often accumulated at intersections where you may have to cross it to turn. If you must cross it, slow

down first, don't brake while you are on it if possible and try to keep a more upright riding position while you go over it.

If it starts to rain while you are riding, pull off for a few minutes and let the rain wash some of the oils off the road. Grab a bite to eat, fill up with gas, or just sit it out

for 10-15 minutes under a gas station canopy or a do it yourself car wash. The road will be most hazardous when it first starts to rain because the gas and oil drippings

from vehicles will float up on top of the water. As it continues to rain, much of that slippery mix will was off into the ditches and drains and then you are only dealing

with wet pavement issues. Once you go back out on the wet streets, be aware that some surfaces may present a significant hazard to motorcycles that car drivers

rarely have to worry about. Painted stripes can be like wet glass, and anything metal, a manhole cover , gratings, temporarily placed steel plates over street

excavations, steel bridge plating, can take you down fast without warning. Avoid them if possible, slow down and stay upright and do not brake while on them if you

can't avoid them completely.

Those are just a few things that come to mind when I think of defensive driving.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
Rookie Rider

And get a loud horn !!
Old 11-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

BB mentioned steel deck bridges. They can be a thrill that makes you freeze up, don't. Stay loose and let the bike do it's dance under you. It is a lot like riding on rain grooves. A flat or slightly uphill bridge is best to maintain your speed and in some cases a slight bit of acceleration is okay. Going downhill is a little more unnerving because the front end is loaded a little more and feels just a bit looser. A bit of throttle will help lighten the front end but you can also end up going too fast to be safe. Found that out with a left turn at the end of the bridge. Another reason to look further ahead to see the big picture.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #9
Way

You are basically riding to defend yourself from all hazards whether they be animal, road or human. Enjoy your ride but don't take safety for granted.

When you are in traffic, you may be the invisible man. Others may not see you even if you look them in the eye.

When someone is behind you, they may not see your stop light or they may misjudge how far away you are.

When you are stopped to make a turn, watch your mirrors for anyone coming up behind you, make sure they are slowing down. Plan your escape before it becomes an emergency.

Don't be paranoid but be very aware of everything around you. Wear bright, reflective clothing if possible. You are a bug trying to avoid oncoming windshields. You are your first and best defense. Leather / armor is the last resort and certainly don't ride without it. You can spill in a hundred yards just as painfully as in 10 miles. Riding defensively keeps the leather new and the skin on, bones intact, etc. Hope this helps as well as all the other replies.