Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 11-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
greatmaul

My first (and second) close call

So I've been commuting about every other day for a couple of weeks with no problems, then... 2 slightly close calls on the same day.

The first, I was rolling down a city street near a gas station, and I saw several cars on the right, signalling, waiting to shoot across the road. I was covering the brakes anyway, and I kept some attention on them without focusing on them, when, sure enough, just as I rode up, a guy pulled right out, saw me coming, and stopped his car right in front of me.

It was such a textbook event, and I was glad that my response was textbook also. I didn't stare at the car, but just paid attention to the space I had on the road. I was already hard on the brakes, and could have stopped cold, but instead released the brakes and swerved right around the back of his car.

Much later (like, 10 hours) I was almost home and getting into the foothills where I live, and I had deer on my mind, because they're fairly common here. I round a curve at around 50mph and: deer. Hard on the brakes again, and even though the deer was scampering towards the shoulder, I kept braking. I was glad I did, because it changed directions and scampered off the other shoulder. One thing I've read is that deer are unpredictable, and it's better to slow as much as possible rather than try to steer around them.

So, that was my day, and I was actually really happy and kind of proud. No target fixation, no braking while swerving, good anticipation of problems, and no crash.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: My first (and second) close call

Glad to hear you avoided disaster on both events. On the street most drivers are not programed to see anything smaller than another cage. Make yourself as visible as possible. A Hi Vis vest is a great start. A white or yellow helmet is good too. Helmets in DayGlo colors may be a tad on the wild side but they will work.
Deer are Mother Nature's moving targets. They seem determined to be hit no matter what you do to avoid them. A Stebel Air Horn will help them pick a direction while you are slowing down.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
greatmaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
A Stebel Air Horn will help them pick a direction
That is hilarious, and a really good point. I didn't even think of my horn. I'm so used to thinking people in cars won't be able to hear it, but I'm sure a deer could.

One of these days I want to get one of those Stebels, I just have read in a few places that they always stop working. You haven't had any trouble with that?

Old 11-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

I had a Stebel stop working but it was not due to a poor product. My mount broke and shifted the position of the horn. It then filled up with rain water. Not a good thing. The replacement is in a better location with a better mounting. Lynda specified a Stebel when upgrading to the M-50. Sure glad of that. I was following her on the highway when she woke up a driver who wanted her space without looking. The Stebel draws a fair bit of power but thankfully for only a short time. It must be wired in with a relay or you can cook the OEM wiring and horn button housing. Just have the OEM wiring trip the relay and everything will be fine. I have another Stebel that needs to be put behind the grill of the Ranger. Little truck, big attitude. :lol:
Old 11-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #5
Way

Glad you made it out ok. Animals are the biggie for me, though the ones in cars can be worse. Even though I have my license now, I still practice my slow speed skills and swerves etc. or at least I will next season. I think they make me a better rider even at higher speeds and plus it's still kind of fun to zig zag around. It helps to keep me thinking about the ride too and control my braking habits.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
mole2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way
Glad you made it out ok. Animals are the biggie for me, though the ones in cars can be worse. Even though I have my license now, I still practice my slow speed skills and swerves etc. or at least I will next season. I think they make me a better rider even at higher speeds and plus it's still kind of fun to zig zag around. It helps to keep me thinking about the ride too and control my braking habits.
You should never stop practicing. I can ride all year long (though limited in December and January) and I make time to practice from time to time. The more you do something the better you'll be.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:57 AM   #7
megocode3

Quote:
Make yourself as visible as possible. A Hi Vis vest is a great start. A white or yellow helmet is good too.
This is great advice. I have a hi vis vest and white helmet I wear a lot of the time. It really makes a big difference. A lot less cars pull out in front of me when I'm in the hi vis vs my all black gear.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:40 AM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by megocode3
Quote:
Make yourself as visible as possible. A Hi Vis vest is a great start. A white or yellow helmet is good too.
This is great advice. I have a hi vis vest and white helmet I wear a lot of the time. It really makes a big difference. A lot less cars pull out in front of me when I'm in the hi vis vs my all black gear.
Now that you feel a bit safer from brain dead blind drivers try to digest this statement. A recent study has determined that a variety of bright colors tend to be just background clutter to the human eye. You simply blend in with the environment. Nice thought eh ?? Keep in mind this is just "1" study. I will continue to wear a white helmet and any dang color I want. I will believe my personal experiences because a "study" can be influenced by the study group.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:35 AM   #9
greatmaul

Quote:
Now that you feel a bit safer from brain dead blind drivers try to digest this statement. A recent study has determined that a variety of bright colors tend to be just background clutter to the human eye. You simply blend in with the environment. Nice thought eh ?? Keep in mind this is just "1" study. I will continue to wear a white helmet and any dang color I want. I will believe my personal experiences because a "study" can be influenced by the study group.
yay, and I just got a new neon yellow modular helmet. Oh well. I decked it out with 3m reflective tape in a classic, yet stylish pattern of my own devising. I haven't noticed any difference from the people in cars, but I like it anyway. Plus, I like to switch helmets day to day so they can air out. Amazing how even if it's 35F (about 2C,) my head sweats.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

What brand is the yellow neon modular ??