Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Instructional Articles

Old 09-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #11
Badbob

Re: Easy push start for the GZ250

I carry a tiny set of jumper cables. I've used them to jump start another motorcycle with a dead battery that was dead from leaving their key in the park position.

I put mine in the park position by accident many times. Its very easy to do when your locking it. Just one little nudge to far and you have locked it in park. I've never killed my battery yet.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-11-2008, 09:11 PM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbob
I put mine in the park position by accident many times. Its very easy to do when your locking it.
Apparently you value the "steering lock" position a lot more than I do. Once I decided that locking the forks was really a pretty useless exercise, I never come close to "park" anymore.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:09 PM   #13
alanmcorcoran

Chris,

I now make an effort to try to push start at least once when I'm on my way in to work. I'm sorry to say I have yet to duplicate my early success. (I usually only try once or twice.) I am pretty sure I am not getting it into third. I do think I had in second. Is there a trick to upshifting with the bike not running? Do I need to let out the clutch while I'm effing with the shifter? Also, contrary to what you said Easy, the one time I did get it going (from first) it was smooth as pie, no slide, no wheel lockup, no sudden jerk, it was almost like it was designed that way. Since I was apparently lucky to get it started at all, I'm going to assume I was lucky in the smooth start aspect of it and will continue to try to duplicate it in second or above. I don't have a "hill" to work with, but my driveway has a slight decline. It worked once anyway.

I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:51 AM   #14
Badbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbob
I put mine in the park position by accident many times. Its very easy to do when your locking it.
Apparently you value the "steering lock" position a lot more than I do. Once I decided that locking the forks was really a pretty useless exercise, I never come close to "park" anymore.
I don't know that I value it all that much its just that I don't think I should help anyone who wants to steal it.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:21 AM   #15
music man

Not only that, but the fact is, that the steering lock on your bike is sorta like an alarm on your car, it is not really intended to prevent someone from being able to steal your car, but to make it inconvenient enough that a thief won't want to mess with it. If someone comes in your yard to steal your bike even one as light as the GZ, and realizes that they are gonna have to man-handle it and not just roll it casually out of your yard(or a store parking lot), chances are that they are gonna just leave it.

Later

Old 09-12-2008, 06:42 PM   #16
alanmcorcoran

Okay, I know this post is going to both irritate Chris and make me look more like an idiot but I gotta do it in the interest of full disclosure.

As mentioned previously, I have been trying to "practice" the push start as part of my regular commute. Today I was successful for the second time, on my second attempt. But the bike was once again in first gear. And once again it was no problem when it caught. I can't explain why I didn't put it in third to try it (at least no explanation that makes sense), but it started, was relatively easy, and with two under my belt, I'm inclined to stick with it.

Here's the thing I want to know: What bad things should have happened to me because I started it in first? I suspect it is related to how fast one is going downhill. If that is the case, it all makes sense, for I am not really going down hill, but rather doing an aggressive "roll" out onto the flat road at the end of my driveway. I believe the only difference beween my failures and successes was that I was a little more aggressive in the duck-walking-to-get-going part on the successes. So, my theory is, you'll have the most success with a push start if you match the gear to the speed you are traveling when you pop the clutch.

If my theory is BS and the real danger is the engine might shoot a rod and put out my eye (or something similar), please set me straight.

_Alan
Old 09-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #17
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

The only real issue is a possible rear wheel skid when you release the clutch. That could cause you to lose control (read: fall) at a time when you're really concentrated on other things (like starting the engine/picking your feet up/finding pegs/grabbing clutch/opening throttle etc etc).

Another long term problem is that it could wear or even break some teeth in the transmission. This is really only a threat if you're ALWAYS push-starting your bike. The idea of starting in third is that the engine doesn't have to get a high rpm to get going, and it essentially eases the engine slower into firing.

To recap: First might make you drop your bike (which might make it run better) and hurt yourself. Second would probably be easier on the transmission/clutch. Third would get the engine going "smoother" but you'll still have to walk/run the bike faster to get to the necessary starting rpms than you would in first or second.

If it works for you in first, try it in second. Do what works for you. You're more than likely not going to screw something up, unless you try it in midtown traffic.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:01 PM   #18
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I can't explain why I didn't put it in third to try it (at least no explanation that makes sense), but it started, was relatively easy, and with two under my belt, I'm inclined to stick with it.
It's because you are a stubborn turd and just HAD to prove that the first time wasn't a fluke. :roll: :crackup

It's all about leverage. You want the tire to have a reasonable amount of leverage against the engine and still turn it over at a reasonable clip. Those two things do NOT happen in first gear.
You have more leverage to turn the engine over in 2nd and even more in 3rd, which means you don't have to be going as fast, but higher than 3rd and it won't turn it over fast enough.

It is a BAD habit to get into.....because of what Patrick said AND because if you try it with a bigger engine, you are almost guaranteed to skin your nose.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:29 PM   #19
alanmcorcoran

I think I've done it enough to know it can be done and that I can do it if need be. I was wondering if it was hard on the bike. Given the potental for damage to both me and the bike, I think it's time to give it a rest.

On being a "stubborn turd that just HAD to prove..." That sounds very much like me. But in this case, it was more "lazy turd" in that, for whatever reason, I couldn't get the bike to easily go into third when not running. I'm also paranoid about the headlight running the battery down after my stupid taillight business, so I didn't want to spend too much time experimenting in the "On" position without the bike actually running.

It's still kind of cool when you start the bike up that way. For some reason I think I got away with something. When I was a kid, the other kids dirt bikes all started with a "kick." I didn't weigh enough back then (about 75) to start one myself. I guess I feel like I finally did it.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:52 PM   #20
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I couldn't get the bike to easily go into third when not running.
Granted that IS a problem.
You won't ever know absolutely for sure if it really is in third or not, but......... if you are pulling UP on the shifter, there is one thing you will know for sure............that it is NOT going to be in FIRST!! :roll: :biggrin: