Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 09-17-2008, 07:37 PM   #1
marijke

Stripped Nuts!

I have a 2007 gz250 and I have changed my oil twice myself and i guess the last time i tightened the nuts on my oil filter cover a bit too much and now i cant get the off. Any thoughts?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-17-2008, 08:05 PM   #2
5th_bike

Re: Stripped Nuts!

Do you have an metric impact wrench set ? They have a good fit on the nuts and you may be able to unscrew them.

PS Welcome to the forum, and where is that Dutch name coming from ? I'm from the Netherlands you see, but a US citizen since about 4 years ago.

PS2 I strongly advise getting a torque wrench to properly tighten your bolts. It is so very much worth the about $25 at Sears.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by marijke
I have a 2007 gz250 and I have changed my oil twice myself and i guess the last time i tightened the nuts on my oil filter cover a bit too much and now i cant get the off. Any thoughts?
(Edit, added later: Just noticed the title of the thread. If they turn but won't come off then ignore all the following and get it to a shop. If they really are stripped, there isn't much YOU can do for it now.)

First, use a 6 point socket or box wrench. A 12 point will be more likely to just round off the corners. Second, tap each one firmly but not real hard with a small hammer a couple of times, then try the wrench.

Are all of them stuck ??
(Sorry for this one but it has to be said: Are you sure you are turning the right way.......counter-clockwise ?? )

You can get an impact driver. You put the appropriate socket on it and then smack it firmly with a hammer.

Failing all that, I'm sure a dealer would be happy to loosen them for you. Likely no charge if they come loose OK and it's right there for a fix if they don't. (Have a ride available just incase.)

Good luck!

Old 09-17-2008, 10:58 PM   #4
mld85

Whenever I strip a nut my first way of trying to get it off would be to the tapping method that Easy mentioned. If that fails I get out my dremel tool and cut a slot for a screw driver and try screwing it out. If that doesn't work I get really pissed and start grinding away at the sides of the nut and try option one again with a different size socket. Or you could just play it safe and have a dealer help you since it's a new bike, good luck.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:17 AM   #5
marijke

Hey guys, Thanks for all the great advice. I will give it a shot. 5th bike, I am half dutch. My mother was born there and lived there half her childhood.