Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 09-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #11
wickedp34

Same issue

I'm dealing with the same issue. Baked on and burnt oil on the cooling fins. When it heats up, it drips onto the fins and causes smoke. I finally wanted to investigate where exactly it was coming from. I used degreaser and eblow grease and got rid of what was already there. I took the header side cover off and started up the bike. I let it heat up and watched really closely. Finally figured out it is coming from a cap above where the exhaust connects to the header. I looked in the manual and it is labeled as an inspection cap. I'm gathering there is probably a seal behind it that is not doing its job. It could also be the bolts aren't tight enough. Before I attempt to do anything with it, I'd like some input. If I remove that cap to inspect the gasket, will there be a good deal of oil coming out of it? Also, when I replace the cap and tighten the bolts, do those particular bolts need a torsion wrench? Thanks in advance!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-29-2017, 08:24 PM   #12
5th_bike

Looking at the picture, it could have been something (clothing, glove) that melted and left some on the fins. Can't really see on top of the fins though.

PS Wickedp34, no problem, open valve cover, replace gasket. No oil will come out (provided engine is off....). Yes, torsion is in the manual that you can download from somewhere here.

Last edited by 5th_bike; 09-29-2017 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Added.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:09 AM   #13
Maggie

Hi! Yep, those inspection caps are for the valve inspection/adjustment, so you will see some oil, but it shouldn't come dripping out. I just opened mine for a valve inspection and noticed oil had been leaking onto the fins from the front cap. So, I ran down to my Suzuki dealer and was able to purchase two replacement o-rings for $6.00. I think the oil issue is mostly resolved, although I must say this is a continuing issue for this bike to get oil on the left side.

Login or Register to Remove Ads