Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Instructional Articles

Old 12-14-2006, 11:25 AM   #11
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Its a straight pipe about 19" long. Its got a built in non-removable baffle - its not much of one, but theres one in there.

Yea starting the bike with the muffler cut off was loud.

If you keep the pipe at 1.25" throughout ... it will probably have a higher pitched popping kind of sound. The bigger the width of the pipe at the end .. the deeper the sound. Thats why if i had kept my GZ i probably would have swapped out for the pipe that you could 'wrap' the baffle to deepen it up a little bit.

This mod makes the bike louder, but if you pulled up to a straight pipe harley, you wouldnt be able to hear yours idle.

If you download the mp3 a few posts back ... you can hear what it sounded like on idle.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-27-2007, 01:52 AM   #12
johncruise

Additional pictures and information

I've just finished my new muffler installation as well (using the same EMGO turnout muffler)

Here are some additional pictures that might help those who are planning to do the same mods.

Here is a picture of the pipe with the factory muffler cut. Notice that I cut just at the edge near the weld point of muffler and pipe. Be careful doing this cause you might cut the original pipe as well. The filler pipe (1 1/4") I bought from Home Depot was already cut and sanded outside.

Here is the pipe again with 4 1/4" cut from the end. Why? The EMGO muffler will not fit if you don't shorten it. The end of the pipe will hit the baffle with 3" margin more from end of muffler to welding point. To make sure that we have enough space, I cut using that length (again, 4 1/4") off the original pipe. The filler pipe was already inserted. Like what Dupo has pointed out, you need to grind the inside.... and you need to grind "a lot". It took me 30 minutes to make it fit. I've used some WD40 so I can easily slip it on. So far, I don't see any negative effect with using that process when I started and run my bike.

Just to show you the tools I've used.

I had the pipe welded by a local mechanic (cost me $25). That price includes welding the filler pipe and spot welding the biggest reducer into the pipe filler. I did not have the new muffler welded in, but even so, it holds properly in place and doesn't vibrate when riding or even budge if you try to move/pull it by hand. Just tighten the clamp and your all set.

Also, a note with the reversible hang-mount of the new muffler... whatever hole you are going to use to mount the muffler to the frame (I use the 2nd hole from the muffler mount)... drill it with a #10 or 3/8 bit to make sure the bolt fits in or you'll damage its thread.

Just to warn you guys, the new muffler is "way too noisy". We can feel our pavement shaking when I start my bike on full choke. I'll try to compare this noise with my friends' Hayabusa tomorrow to see if I over did it. Anyways, with the filler pipe, I/we can buy another not-so-noisy-but-has-some-thump-sound pipe that can fit 1 3/8", which has a lot more selection than 1 1/4" (which is none at all).
Old 08-27-2007, 02:17 AM   #13
Dupo

I told you it was loud lol.

Nice write up!

Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Old 09-03-2007, 11:56 AM   #14
Jaime

Hi, folks!

I'm going to install one of these exhaust mufflers. They suit from 1 5/8" to about 1 2/5".

Now I've been looking to your photographs and I've seen big diferences between your headers and the ones in my bike.
There are several welded pipes with diferent thicknesses, the heat shield mounts are located at other places, and even the heat shield itself looks diferent. I don't know where to cut!

Here are some pics.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 09-04-2007, 12:30 AM   #15
Dupo

Well if your pipes can slip on to 1 5/8" .. and your pipes wont stick out too far (they look long) ... then id cut at the 1 5/8" and just slip them on and tighten down. No need for a reducer then.

Just make sure your pipes arent too long if you mount them there.

Other than that, it looks like you got a "Marauder" gz250 for over seas and is different from ours in the US. You may just have to figure out for yourself how you are going to mount them.

Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Old 09-05-2007, 09:01 AM   #16
Jaime

Thanks! I think I'm going to cut at the first weld point, but I'll wait to receive the muffler, just in case I need another diameter.
I'll post pics as soon as I install the new one. It's more than 27" long... :yes:
Old 09-05-2007, 02:31 PM   #17
johncruise

Jaime, make sure you cut only the muffler... do not cut all the way through. Do not cut the pipe beneath the muffler. You can cut excess pipe after that. It is safer that way.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:52 PM   #18
Jaime

Yeah, I'll try to be careful, it looks easy to cut the inner pipe.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:37 PM   #19
Jaime

This afternoon I've been trying to swap the muffler, but there's no way to remove the stock one, it doesn't even move a bit! I've cut it properly but the muffler doesn't slip off the headers. :cuss:
Did your mufflers could be removed easily?
Old 09-13-2007, 08:16 PM   #20
johncruise

my '06 gz250 muffler's contact point to the pipe is that welded section. So after I cut the muffler from that part, the whole muffler slips off with no problem.