Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Parts & Accessories

Old 10-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
Blue_Fausto

Looking into parting out my 2003 GZ250

I am looking int o parting out my GZ250, as many of the bikes, the engine engine is shot after just 7,000 miles. The mechanic want to buy it as is and I was wondering about how much should I expect to get out of selling the parts. This bike is a loss no matter which way I look at it I was wondering how can I do to minimize my loss.

Thanks

Blue Fausto
Los Angeles, CA

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: Looking into parting out my 2003 GZ250

You'll certainly get some nibbles here.

What happened to the motor, if you don't mind my asking. There are always people looking for complete motors and if yours isn't completely grenaded, then even the non-running motor would be valuable, if you know what's wrong with it.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
Blue_Fausto

Yes, I noticed the engines on these bikes are as unreliable as they get. It looks like the most wanted single item in the forum is the engine. If I could get one also I would swap the dead one and sell the bike as a whole as it looks new.

Not sure of the details, I have not gotten the detail rundown from the mechanic as he wants talk in person, I will talk to him this weekend. But for what I understood of it is that the entire top end of the engine is trashed and it needs all new parts. The bottom end is what seems to be OK. But the repairs will be not far from the value of the bike running.

I am wondering what everything else may fetch as I am sure they are going to make an offer on the dead bike since it definitely not worth repairing.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

If you've browsed the forum you'll see some success stories of people rebuilding their little motors and then getting back out on the road.

I know it looks like there is a lot of engine failure in here, but it's really few and far between. The forum may have a lot of threads about it, but it's not a common problem on the whole. We have had approaching membership in the thousands and we only have a handful of engine blowouts like this.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
Blue_Fausto

Right now I just want to know I would like to know how much I maybe able to get parting it out.

Thanks

Old 10-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

It will take a long time to move all of the individual parts, and only you can determine what the value of your time is. But you'll make a few hundred dollars moving different parts. - Now that this bike is off the market, the parts are both harder to find, which increases their value, but the market is thinner...and we're a bunch of cheap squeak-walkers.... so no one is going to over-pay and you won't have 15 people barking after every single piece.

Top ends and complete motors are the most valuable - which is obviously what you can't offer. But there is still value in the secondary pieces.

I would make a bunch of different Ebay ads and just let them go for whatever you can get for them. Also, create an ad for the whole bike as is, with the option to close if it necessary. I wouldn't take less than $500 for the complete bike. You could potentially make more parting it out, but it will take a long time to get that money out of lots of $15-$30 parts.

Then again, you could always pull the motor out, slap in a chinese clone or a sweet 1970's two-stroke and have the coolest bike in the neighborhood...or make it electric!
Old 10-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Like the 2 smoke option. A 500 Titan Twin would be absolutely nuts.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
goneoutflying

I started Parting out my gz250 back in August my bike was running but had a blown head gasket and had 16000 miles on it. There were GZ's in my area selling for $600 that were much newer and better condition than mine so I decided to part it out. So far I have made about $650 from it and still have plenty of parts to sell, so it was definitely worth it. However I do have a garage and the bike had been sitting in my garage for a few years so having a bunch of parts stored in my garage is not a big deal but where to store all of the parts once it has been dismantled is something to consider.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #9
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Like the 2 smoke option. A 500 Titan Twin would be absolutely nuts.
I'm having trouble linking the photo here at work, but have you ever seen the Roatx EX250? They stuffed a 500cc 2-stroke into a Ninja 250 frame, IIRC... Just thinking about that makes my mouth water.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

2 strokes are a hoot. There are still a few old ones running around and well preserved by collectors around here. Yamaha RD 350's were and still are a fast small bike with a wow factor that will make a rider giggle with joy.
Yesterday I was talking with a local guy who turned an old Suzuki GT 750 triple 2 stroke into a hill climber with pretty good results.
He is presently living on a boat and is looking for a smaller 4 stroke Honda to use when he gets to a new destination with the boat.