Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 11-24-2013, 02:08 AM   #1
awf

Exhaust gases leaking.

Hi,

My GZ has been sat in the garage for the best part of a year while other things have been going on…

I have got it up and running again after installation of a new battery, clearing out of an insect nest from the vacuum line and reconnection to the petcock etc. etc. etc.

After starting up and running on idle for a few minutes exhaust gases start to escape from the gasket area where the left hand exhaust pipe connects to the cylinder head and at stopping the exhaust backfires. I'm assuming that the backfiring is caused by the escaping gases prior to the muffler.

What is the best way to seal this leak? I'm wondering whether changing the steel gasket is necessary or an application of a liquid gasket sealant?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Andy

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: Exhaust gases leaking.

That connection is known to come loose over time. The gasket itself is just a copper ring. You could order a new one for literally just a few cents and install it. But, chances are the stock one is still good. If the nuts aren't too rusted, just see if you can snug down the header a little more. Like just about everything on a motorcycle, vibrations will work stuff loose and, like I said, that connection is fairly common in doing so.

Let us know how it does.

www.ronayers.com if you need the actual part.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
That connection is known to come loose over time. The gasket itself is just a copper ring. You could order a new one for literally just a few cents and install it. But, chances are the stock one is still good. If the nuts aren't too rusted, just see if you can snug down the header a little more. Like just about everything on a motorcycle, vibrations will work stuff loose and, like I said, that connection is fairly common in doing so.

Let us know how it does.

http://www.ronayers.com if you need the actual part.
Just be careful as these bolts have a habit of breaking off in the head if they are seized.Try loosing/tightening to be sure the bolt has movement.Also a good idea to remove bolts & apply some anti-seize on the threads.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
awf

Thanks for your help guys, I have tried the bolts already, loosened them off and tightened again, they are both pretty rusty, the bolts on the right side pipe are in good nick though, I might try changing them over.

Have taken bolts out, given them a good clean with a wire brush, put them back in again with a bit of a tighten, still a little leak of exhaust gases but less than it was and no backfiring!

Thanks for the link, I'll look at getting a couple of gaskets and a set of bolts...
Old 12-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
CMS

gasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by awf View Post
Hi,

My GZ has been sat in the garage for the best part of a year while other things have been going on…

I have got it up and running again after installation of a new battery, clearing out of an insect nest from the vacuum line and reconnection to the petcock etc. etc. etc.

After starting up and running on idle for a few minutes exhaust gases start to escape from the gasket area where the left hand exhaust pipe connects to the cylinder head and at stopping the exhaust backfires. I'm assuming that the backfiring is caused by the escaping gases prior to the muffler.

What is the best way to seal this leak? I'm wondering whether changing the steel gasket is necessary or an application of a liquid gasket sealant?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Andy
I too replaced the left side exhaust gasket [while doing this I replaced both sides] I also discovered a small head gasket leak and replaced it also. Runs great, no exhaust noise now. you may want to check the head bolts/gasket just to be sure. terry

2017 Yamaha R -3 White
2013 Suzuki GW250 Black
FSSNOC # 4953

Old 12-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Fair point from Terry. Just check your torque settings on the head bolts to make sure they haven't backed out some over time.