Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 08-22-2017, 08:19 AM   #1
jtderr

New to the forum . Hi jtderr.

Hi my user name is jtderr. I just found the forum while searching for info on the GZ 250. I'm going to buy a 2000 with only 988 miles on it. Two prior owners the price will be 1150.00. Does it sound like a good deal or not? jt.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-22-2017, 08:38 AM   #2
Razorburns

Welcome to the group!

That is super low miles for a 2000 with 2 previous owners. See if you can take it to a shop and get it looked over. If it's legit and really is only 988 miles, that is a great deal.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:19 AM   #3
Vegas Street Rider

Welcome to our forum. Good advice from Razorburns. Condition is everything, so make sure everything is in order. You are probably going to have to replace the tires as with age, the rubber gets hard and remember, there are only two under you to keep you in control. Also, you may have to flush the fuel system out since it obviously has been idle a long time and you may have some varnish build up in the carb, fuel lines, and tank.If you are lucky, some Seafoam will take care of most of that but it may require you to dismantle and clean the carb. Other than that, how does it run? Does it start up easily and have good power? Check for obvious damage, etc. Might be a little high priced given it's age despite the low mileage. Compare it to others in your local market. Good luck and if you end up with it, safe riding.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #4
jtderr

The lady that is selling it said it has been garage kept. She bought from a friend who bought it new. She put about 500 miles on it. She hasn't rode in 2 years. She said oil and gas changed have and a new Battery. She is on vacation until the 28th of this month, when she gets home she will have it tuned up. Ionly saw pictures but it looks great.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:28 PM   #5
jtderr

I forgot to mention that I know of another one that is also a 2000 with 10 thousand miles on it. It has just been all tuned up and detailed at a motorcycle shop at the start of the season and has been ridden this summer for about 1 thousand mile. This also looks real good as per pictures. He is selling it because he bought it for his son who is now going to collage for 4 years and could use the money more than the bile.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:35 PM   #6
Vegas Street Rider

Nice to have choices. Hope you pick a good one. It is a great starter bike with classic styling.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:11 PM   #7
jtderr

Well I picked the one with 10000 miles. I was afraid of the one with only 988 as the tires would be 17 years old and setting without running all them years can't be good for the fuel system it might have a few less scratches but I think in the long run I will be better off with the one that has been run and used but well maintained through the years. Time will tell. I also saved $150.00 JT.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:09 PM   #8
Razorburns

Probably a good choice. I purchased my 2001 in a similar condition: ridden and used, but well taken care of.
A few things that have come up on mine that might be things to look out for on yours:
  • In the process of replacing all the bulbs as they were all starting to reach the end of their life (all seem to be original)
  • turn signal relay under the seat
  • Fuel system cleaning
  • brake job front and rear
  • new chain and sprockets front and rear

Ride safe and have an awesome time!
Old 08-23-2017, 02:53 PM   #9
jtderr

I took the bike in for pa inspection this morning and no problem at all. It is working as well as it could. It has plenty of power for me, went to 60 mph with room to spare. I won't be doing that often but wanted to try it out. I'm a 40 to 50 back roads guy. JT.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:25 PM   #10
Vegas Street Rider

Perfect bike for that kind of riding. Enjoy and ride safe. Remember ATGATT.