Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 01-23-2011, 10:22 PM   #1

unable to put in neurtal when going to part

I am having problems with being able to put my bike into neutral when I go to turn my ignition off
to park. This is making it difficult to start the bike up again. Anybody out there with an idea of what might be going on, PLEASE RESPOND in the post. Or call me collect at 850-932-6136. This is my only form of transportation right now, so its vital I get the problem solved ASAP. Thanks everybody.

Christoper R. Chociey (nickname: Chris)
850-932-6136 (h)
850-525-5794 (cell)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-23-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
blaine

Re: unable to put in neurtal when going to part

Welcome.The only thing that comes to mind without more info is a clutch that is not adjusted properly.You should have about a 1/2 inch of free play at the outer tip of the clutch lever.Make sure all linkage is clean and lubricated.
:2tup: :cool:

Old 01-24-2011, 01:21 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

How long has the oil been in the bike. If you are getting near the due date for a change that could make a difference.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:20 AM   #4

Hi my name is Christopher, but I go by "Chris"- not very original I know. I currently am livttiing on the Gulf Coast, just 10 mi nutes from Pensacola Beach. Beautiful riding weather, although not a of open road. But the GZ250 wasn't made for road trips, anyway. My bike is a 2001 and had all original parts until I had a rear fender bender. So I am not looking into put having money into restoring it (although I keep it highly polished [including the spoke wheels]. I have been out of work now recuperating from pancreatitis. Since I couldn't afford my car payments the car got
repossessed. Anyway my GZ250 has been serving as my primary means of transprtation. So I
definately got to get the problem with the neutral gear fixed pronto. IF THERE IS ANYBODY ON
THIS FORUM WHO CAN, PLEASE DON'T hesitate to reply or email me at:chociey1@yahoo.com.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:04 AM   #5
alantf

Hi there.

Not an uncommon problem! Usually happens at the most inconvenient times, like when I pull into the gas station & the guy's standing there waiting to fill me up. Best way is to leave it in gear - you should do that anyway, if you're parked on a hill - then when you want to start, put the side stand up, pull in the clutch, & it'll start right up. Into first gear & away you go. :2tup:

If I'm in no hurry, I kick it down a gear, while letting the clutch out partially, & keep doing this until it eventually drops into first, then click it up into neutral. You can see as it goes into first, as the neutral light will flash briefly.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
alanmcorcoran

Chris, not sure if this helps but to echo some of the other Alan...

Rarely ever put/leave mine in neutral. Only when I need to leave it running unattended (which is probably not recommended anyway.) Not sure if this is best practice or not, just how my habits evolved. I do think it's best to have the bike in gear when parked, especially on up or down hill. Bike can roll and the kickstand can fold up if it's steep and then down she'll go.

I generally kick down to first when pulling up to lights/stops and hold in the clutch until it's time to go. Again, don't know if this is good practice or not. I do feel like I can get going faster if someone is coming up to hit me from the rear. Sometimes it's hard to pop it into first at slow speeds, but this is typically cured by letting the clutch out a bit before you try.

I generally do not push the starter without the clutch and brake pulled in. I don't trust the "neutral light." Sometimes it's lit when you aren't in neutral and vice versa. As you can imagine, if you think you're in but you aren't, it can cause problems.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:43 AM   #7
GZBrian

Hi Chris, Coming to the GZ from a Kawasaki 125cc, I too had a little trouble with finding neutral. What I did was spend some time getting the feel of how high to lift my foot to hit it. A lot of folks say each bike is different, and you just have to find the spot for neutral. Once I got it, it was fairly easy. Now I can hit it whenever I need to. Just be patient, and you should be able to get it too. It just takes some time to practice it. GZBrian
Old 03-17-2011, 07:17 AM   #8
BillInGA

Echoing what WW said, my GZ's gear box is sensitive to old oil. Fresh oil makes a world of difference in ease of shifting.

I keep my bike parked in 1st gear and start it in Neutral with the clutch pulled in (sort of a belt and suspenders thing).
Old 03-19-2011, 01:07 AM   #9
mole2

What happened to the first post?

Old 03-19-2011, 04:09 PM   #10
5th_bike

What happened to chociey1 ?

:??: