Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 05-10-2015, 09:02 AM   #1
GZ250

when buying a used bike, what to check.

Hi , I am here after a long break. Nice to see some old names still here for help. My 06 GZ250 has 38800 miles and runs great. Only problem is that most of the gaskets or seals on the head need to be replaced as oil is leaking and it burns and smokes, otherwise all good. I am not sure how much will it cost in a shop or if I try how much time and efforts to put. I use it for daily commute and leisure small rides so do not need a very heavy bike.

I was also looking into upgrading and buying a used bike like 2009 Suzuki Blvd S50 (1500 miles) or similar like Honda Shadow 750 or Kawasaki Vulcan 900. Whatever comes first and cheaper.

QUESTION:

If a bike with 1500miles means it is not in use (just sitting in garage). Outside is all clean and shiny of course and it starts and sound ok but what about tires and gaskets/seals. Six years old tires are not road worthy or are they safe to use? Do the gaskets/seals like dry up or crack and would leak soon. Because something in use it better than sitting. For tires I have personal experience, They oxidize if not used.

What is a good price for 2009 Suzuki Blvd S50?

Please suggest and Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by GZ250; 05-11-2015 at 04:50 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:19 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Welcome back. Sounds like you have been getting your money's worth with the GZ. Upgrading can be a bit of a challenge.

The S-50 sounds good. Nice styling and the same reliable engine as the rest of the 50 series but with carbs rather than FI. Clean drive shaft too.

Tires are history but so what, you would need them anyway in a while. Good tires are good life insurance.

You will love the power delivery too. Lynda's M-50 impressed me a lot and it was a bit heavier than the S-50. A 5th gear roll on at 60 mph will put a smile on your face.

Your other 2 suggestions are good bikes too but I have no experience with them or their kin other than what I've read.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:09 PM   #3
GZ250

Thanks a lot and I hope I can get a bike at reasonable price as I need a fresh bike for daily commute.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-11-2015, 06:54 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

If you buy privately try to get a maintenance record no matter what the age and mileage. Sometimes a little nugget of info from the seller will avoid misery down the road.