20-50 miles 4 5.56%
50-100 miles 8 11.11%
100-200 miles 6 8.33%
200 miles + 18 25.00%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
dison001

How many miles before you first whoops?

Ok, I finished the Motorcycle Safety Foundations Safety course Sunday. Passed without a problem. Got my class M. Took the bike out for the first time today for a short little ride on a low traffic road near home. Loads of fun. What do I do? Coming around the final turn to my house, slightly too fast, and off the road I go. I was able to slow good before the bike went down, just lost traction. I wasnt hurt. Broke the front fender. My first whoops . . . 5 miles. Lesson learned . . . take that turn slower.
How many miles before you first whoops. Did the bike go down? Were you hurt? How bad did you mess up your bike?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
5th_bike

Re: How many miles before you first whoops?

I selected 200 miles+

"The submitted form is invalid" :popcorn:
Old 06-20-2012, 12:35 AM   #3
mole2

"The submitted form is invalid"

0 miles

In the MSF BRC. We were practicing the long sweeping curve to the right. The parking lot was freshly paved. It started to rain. I entered the curve at 18 mph, slightly rolled the throttle to maintain speed and as I was coming out of the curve I rolled my throttle to accelerate and broke traction on the rear wheel on the slippery pavement and down I went. Skidded on my side for only about 3 - 5 feet. The coaches had to lift the bike off my leg. Those pipes do get hot. Five Tylenols and 4 hours later I aced the course and got my endorsement. My right shoulder hurt bad for over 8 months and it took a couple of weeks for the bruises on the right leg and arm to go away. Busted my brand new helmet being worn for the first time at the class - the right side latch on the modular helmet broke. Had to buy a new helmet but I was glad I had it on.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:06 AM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I dumped my first bike practicing the avoidance of road objects in a parking lot with my dad and grandad watching, a snickering, in attendance. It was awesome. It did earn me some new flush mount blinkers though... that was nice
Old 06-22-2012, 05:39 AM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Off road.............hundreds of times over the years. On road.............not yet.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:32 AM   #6
Rionna

Toppled the bike the 1st day of my MFC. I hopped off but the bike fell. "Embarrassed!" 2nd time was about a month after I had the Beast, riding on country road reached a stop sign with gravel by the curb where I was making a right hand turn. Flew over the curb and bike fell but I didn't fall. I jumped off in time letting the Beast hit the ground (thank goodness I have quick reflexes). "Super embarrassed!" felt like the entire street came to a halt to watch me. lol The Beast didn't have a scratch. So under 50-100 miles would be my answer if the form was working.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:43 AM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Oh crap. Thanks Rionna. I dumped a 250 Yamaha during the rider training when I went with Lynda in 2007. Slow manuevers and my knee prevented my turning the bars so I lost my balance. No damage, no hurting so all was well.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:00 AM   #8
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole2
The coaches had to lift the bike off my leg. Those pipes do get hot. - the right side latch on the modular helmet broke. Had to buy a new helmet but I was glad I had it on.
(1) The only bone I've ever broken was my wrist. Had it in plaster for three months after coming off my Lambretta ,when I hit a patch of grit. This was a few months after getting my first 2 wheeler in 1965.

(2) That's why I won't ride without an engine guard/crash bars. Saved my leg a coule of years ago when I got sideswiped. The bike went down, the bars bent, but absolutely no damage to my leg.

(3) My insurance specifically entitles me to claim for a new helmet after any accident.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #9
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by mole2

(3) My insurance specifically entitles me to claim for a new helmet after any accident.
That's so awesome.

.....I would probably just dump the bike every year or so, slam my helmet against a wall and claim a new one.
Man, I love helmets!
Old 06-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
fatoldfool

don't know about miles, first down was on a hummer in 1959, and there were 16 more before I gave up bikes in 1986. None since I started riding again 2 years ago, but it has been close a few times.