Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 12-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #31
GZ250

Re: Got a ticket on bike, what to do? ... updated 12/14/09

last week i went to the court looking for the DA to talk about the ticket, no luck, i went at 1:00pm and they told me for cases on future dates the DA will be available to talk at 3:00pm. i came back. today on court date, after standing in line when i finally approached the DA he told me that he can drop the speed to 34 on 25 and i do not need to go to the judge and we can solve here, i asked him will it solve my problem - no points on licence. he told me he cannot give legal advice. i told him i want to see the judge and he pointed to the court room. there were already 10-12 people in the room but just after 5 minutes they called my name. Another DA, " i can drop it to 34, i had the same question - will i get the points" no answer. i told him i want to see the judge and she was anyway in the room behind him. he gave my papers to the judge and she called my name and i entered the premises from the small door.

The police officer was not there anyway. i told her i don't think i was that fast, normally i remain under limit and the area where i got the ticket is my neighborhood and is a school there as well. anyway i will ask for prayer for judgement as this is my first ticket.

she asked me if i have any ticket in the past 3 years. i said No. she told me you do not need prayer for judgement and she will fine only $5 and no points will go on my licence. I thanked her and paid the court fee and fine and that its.

A happy ending. She was nice in talking and dealing with me.

As other people also mentioned in their replies. if someone is not a habitual offender and you appear nicely and talk nicely the judges treat you well.

THANKS and relieved I am.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #32
Water Warrior 2

Man, I can't believe that. But congrats on the minimum fine and no points. I guess it does reward you for your perserverance.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #33
GZ250

one thing that surprises me is that why there were two DAs and why they kept insisting that i can settle with them for 34 on 25? if i settle with them i plead guilty. the policeman was not there so they could not prove that i was at mistake so they had to drop the case anyway. were they trying to manipulate? i mean if a person does not know much about court proceedings they can make him plead guilty and make more money for govt and more troubles for him (points on licence).

Thanks again and i wish you all HAPPY HOLIDAYS, CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #34
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZ250
one thing that surprises me is that why there were two DAs and why they kept insisting that i can settle with them for 34 on 25? if i settle with them i plead guilty. the policeman was not there so they could not prove that i was at mistake so they had to drop the case anyway. were they trying to manipulate? i mean if a person does not know much about court proceedings they can make him plead guilty and make more money for govt and more troubles for him (points on licence).

Thanks again and i wish you all HAPPY HOLIDAYS, CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR.

It's their job. Settling for 34 would be a lower fine for you than pleading/conviction to a greater number and would look good on their record as a conviction/guilty plea.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:05 PM   #35
burkbuilds

Congratulations! Merry Christmas Early!

Old 12-14-2009, 10:54 PM   #36
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZ250
The police officer was not there anyway.
As I said before, you got lucky.

Had the officer been present, the outcome might have been somewhat different.
The DA's and Judge knew they were at a disadvantage with the officer absent.

If it happens again, you might not be so lucky next time.

Interesting adventure......but you should NOT read too much into it.
The next adventure will likely be different.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:57 AM   #37
GZ250

you are right, if you run out of luck anything can happen, i was praying for a good outcome (for me) and on Monday morning there was lot of fog (some news of accidents also) so i was kind of sure if that officer is on duty he must be on the road because of weather and if he is off duty he won't go to court on such a crapy day.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:11 PM   #38
dannylightning

that is lluck, i got a ticket a few months ago. i was driving 50mph in a 55mph zone and the cop said it was a 45mph zone. if i would have been a quarter mile down the road it would have been a 45. unfortunately the court date was not for 2 months and i had to move to a different state in 2 weeks so i paid the damn ticket, only 25 bucks and for some reason i have no points on my liscense, have not had a ticket in over 10 years till this one.

when my insurance ran my driving record so i could get oho insurance, 3 weeks ago, yes i was slacking on getting it changed over but my record came up clean and i hope it stays that way.