Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 11-28-2010, 12:11 PM   #11
dhgeyer

Re: Old Man Winter

I put my bikes away for the season on October 10th this year. Did all the prep, went for a short ride to work the stabilized fuel and fresh oil through the systems, and felt good about putting them up.

I lasted about a month. In the last couple of weeks I've put another 500 miles on the Beemer. So, it looks like I'm going to be a "Rounder" again this year. Today is Sunny and will hit 42 or so. On with the Winter riding gear, and out for a ride. Thank God and Gerbings for electric clothes! After I bought the bike last January I did 100 mile trips where it never got up to freezing with no problems. The roads just have to be clear. Typically, after a snowstorm, it takes about 3 days or so for the remnants after plowing to disappear, unless it snows again. In any case, there aren't all that many days when I just can't ride.

All in all I'd rather deal with cold than temps over 90. Cold can be dressed for. Heat is just heat, especially for ATGATT folk.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #12
dentheman

Thursday (Thanksgiving day), my HUGE tree in the front had all of its leaves. That night when I went out I would occassionally hear a leaf drop. The next morning when I went to walk my dog, all of the leaves had fallen off the tree and I had a thick coat of leaves on my lawn. I have raked up about half of them which filled my dumpster, so I don't have anywhere to dispose of the rest until the trash is picked up.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:16 AM   #13
alanmcorcoran

Well, it's about as "wintry" as it's gonna get out here today. I haven't been riding much lately, partly due to being out of town and partly because I've been spending most of my free time practicing Christmas carols, but I did get in about 50 miles on the geezer tonight - quick run to the tennis courts (!) and back. Wore some ski underlayer, tennis togs, my sweats, and my mesh jacket with the liner in it. Wore the full face helmet and the Max-it Gator and some thick gloves. I was pretty comfortable on the way out at 5:30pm. By the time I came back it was in the high 40's in the hills (low for tonight is supposed to be 40.) A little nippy on the face and my ankles.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:51 PM   #14
Moedad

We got in late last night from spending 8 days in northern Idaho. DANG, it was cold! It snowed almost every day we were up there. Down in the minus teens one night. We were staying near Gamlin Lake south of Sandpoint and one day we drove around the lake and took pictures and stuff. Next day the whole lake was frozen over. I saw a couple of motorcycles parked here and there, but nobody riding. I was very happy to be in my little AWD Subaru Legacy rental.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:21 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

Oh we have nice weather here now. Lots of rain, snow if no rain. Slightly above or below freezing. The roads are wet, slushy, icy, black ice or a combo of everything depending on the elevation which varies just enough to make it interesting. I forgot the fog. Had to drive to Vancouver today and what do I see a few blocks from home ?????? My neighbors bike pulled over by the LEOs. What was he thinking ?? It is hard enough walking let alone riding 2 wheelers around.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #16
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I've been spending most of my free time practicing Christmas carols...
Hey Alan, what dates are you playing besides the 11th?

Also, have you ever read any of Max Brooks (Mel's son) zombie books, specifically Worl War Z?
Old 12-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #17
alanmcorcoran

18, 19, 24, 25, 26 (assuming I don't get fired sooner [this is not a joke - I'm borderline at best and there are some days when I flat out suck. Hopefully if the suckies strike during the run they'll be at the end not the beginning.])

I don't read much about zombies. I didn't even play the Resident Evil games (probably would suck at those too.) I do have a perverse fascination with Milla J. in her prime. I also equate the mob behavior that comes with civil unrest in overpopulated places (like Southern California) as the pretty much the same thing as zombies, except the mobs tend to move faster and will eat stuff other than brains. Mindless, though. Persistent. Plentiful. Hard to escape.

We've already had a taste after the Rodney King verdict. Not sure what will trigger the next one, but I'd like some options if I find myself trapped in the LA Basin.

Having a duosport bike and some firepower gives you a sporting chance whether it's an angry mob or actual zombies.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #18
cayuse

"a perverse fascination with Milla J. in her prime"
Come on, there's nothing perverse about that.... unless your fascination involves something perverse, in which case: share, please! :popcorn:

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA
Old 02-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #19
Water Warrior 2

Getting less and less impressed with Mother Nature. It should be the start of Spring here and sounds of Robins flying by. All I hear is snow plows. The temp is hovering above or below freezing depending on the humor of Mother Nature. Rain, snow, rain, snow. Put on your water proof boots, snow shoes and carry an umbrella. 12 to 14 inches of snow predicted in the next 24 hours. End of rant. I feel better now.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:45 PM   #20
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Getting less and less impressed with Mother Nature. It should be the start of Spring here and sounds of Robins flying by. All I hear is snow plows. The temp is hovering above or below freezing depending on the humor of Mother Nature. Rain, snow, rain, snow. Put on your water proof boots, snow shoes and carry an umbrella. 12 to 14 inches of snow predicted in the next 24 hours. End of rant. I feel better now.
Me too.Minus 20 here.Seven storms since the 20Th of Feb.I've definitely had my fill. :mad: :cuss: