Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 11-12-2008, 10:11 PM   #1
GZ250

which Wind Shield is good

Any suggestion which wind shield is reasonable (cost wise, less noise and engine sound kind things after installing). I was reading here some threads and saw some shields at the shop. So before buying would like to get some suggestions.

Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-12-2008, 10:23 PM   #2
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Re: which Wind Shield is good

SEARCH is your friend.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:08 AM   #3
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Cheapest are a model called Spitfire .. search the forum. They have two models that work well. Spitfire is sleeker and they have a police style that fits as well.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Old 11-13-2008, 05:03 AM   #4
alanmcorcoran

See post under General on Plexistar II plusses and minuses. Might want to indicate your motivations for getting one - also your height.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
GZ250

Thanks alan and dupo, i am 6ft, 240lbs and i want the wind shield basically to stop some cold wind as i ride most of the winter secondly just for a change and that might improve some milage too, but i never thought of a windshield because i read in this forum that some shields increase noise from air and i dont want that. i already use ear plugs to avoid that sound. never installed anything on the bike so i need something good but cheap.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
alanmcorcoran

I haven't noticed an "increase" per se. I would say overall there is less noise, but it is different noise. I think you can actually hear the engine a lot more clearer. My shield does an excellent job of reducing the cold. I am 5' 11". There are two schools of thought on here regarding height. I will call it the Sarris School (17") and the Easy School. (21"?) Easy seemed to like Moe's (19"? not sure, even though that's the one I bought.) The taller it is, the more wind it's going to push, and it may slow you down.

Other considerations I think are important: Do you wear a full helmet with a faceshield? Do you wear an armored or heavy leather jacket? Is your jacket lined? Do you wear heavy gloves? All of these reduce the need for a windshield a little. (I have all of them, and, except for the lining, wear them in all temperatures. If you have a half helmet, ride bare handed and wear a t-shirt, I think you'll get a lot more enjoyment out of the windshield.

One last thing: this is purely a personal thing, but I think I prefer the look and feel, wind and all, of riding without one. Still too soon to decide, but it's a big factor.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
One last thing: this is purely a personal thing, but I think I prefer the look and feel, wind and all, of riding without one. Still too soon to decide, but it's a big factor.
I agree on this point, up until about 65 mph. When I first rode with mine, I didn't like it. It seemed noisier and there was buffeting around my helmet that wasn't there before. It took a few rides to get used to it. Now I don't really notice it, and what I do notice is compensated for by being able to ride more comfortably at higher speeds. And I notice that things that used to hit me (undetermined species of large insects, most notably) bounce off the shield now.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
And I notice that things that used to hit me (undetermined species of large insects, most notably) bounce off the shield now.
Imagine for a moment a sea gull bouncing off the shield about head high.
Mine was a crow. It likely would have taken me OFF the bike without the shield.
If you occasionally ride without a helmet, the shield is MUCH more important.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #9
alanmcorcoran

I bounced a hummingbird off my helmet at about 1200 miles. I was going about 50 along my daily commute. I'd say I almost crashed the bike, but it happened so quickly, I didn't have anytime to think about it. It was like, blur, clunk, "holy shit, what was that!" It was one of the days it was really windy out, so I was kind of braced for stray crap blowing around.

When I told my eye doctor about it, she asked me if the hummingbird was "okay." Told her he might have made it if he'd a had his helmet on.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:28 PM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
When I told my eye doctor about it, she asked me if the hummingbird was "okay." Told her he might have made it if he'd a had his helmet on.
:yawn: :biggrin: