Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 10-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
trykemike

Got Spooked

To-day while sitting in the shed with the doors open and pre-occupied with cleaning the caliper assembly which I had just taken off , I cought in the corner of my eye something black flash by. I looked up to see a squirrel jump up onto the bike seat then bounce off the wall and turn and run out the door as I made a startled scream.

The original pad near the caliper piston side was worn but the stationary pad still had half the pad remaining. I replaced the pair and now when backing out of the shed there is no squeal and stopping is quiet but while riding along there is a slight tingle sound. The breaks can now lock the front wheel . I lubbed the piston while it was protruded then used a c clamp to compress it in order to mount the caliper with the new pads. I did not release any pressure via the bleeder valve. I am using SBS ceramic pads which appear to have brass coloured metalic shavings in their composition.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-14-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
sc_frontier

Re: Got Spooked

Usually on single piston calipers the pad pressed by the piston wears the fastest. In your case i would check to make sure the caliper can easily slide back and fourth on the mounting rail. This mounting rail usually has two lubricated places for the caliper to slide and they are covered with rubber. Make sure there are no tears in the rubber protectors. A hung caliper will wear pads unevenly and the rotor gets pushed to one side.