Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 09-17-2008, 10:26 AM   #51
Easy Rider

Re: 71mpg, 75mph in Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Anybody else find that winding it out a bit in third and fourth seems to help it go faster in 5th?
It's not illogical at all. Ever watch a drag race ?? :roll:
Hint: They red-line in every gear.

Second hint: This is especially important when you have an adverse condition, like going uphill or into the wind. I can get 55 in 4th pretty easy, now that I'm thoroughly broken in. Not sure if that is doable with stock gearing but 50 shouldn't be a problem, I think.

And +2 on what Patrick said. If you've never done it, I think you'll be amazed at the difference.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-17-2008, 02:13 PM   #52
Magnar Infectus

Send a message via ICQ to Magnar Infectus Send a message via AIM to Magnar Infectus Send a message via MSN to Magnar Infectus Send a message via Yahoo to Magnar Infectus

Easy's right. redline = go faster. Just don't over do it or you'll need a motor.
I can do 50mph in 4th gear, no problem, and that's at 1/2 throttle (still breaking her in).
I haven't put my feet on the back pegs yet, but I often find my chin on the speedo. That by itself makes a big difference in acceleration.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:40 PM   #53
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

With the 16T, 65mph is a speed you can reach in 4th gear.

I had some pull left at around 8100 rpm the other day, in 4th, and that was getting close to 70mph.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-18-2008, 12:00 PM   #54
rusty rider

I have tucked behind the windshield when going uphill on a steady grade to maintain speed. Luckily once you put on your windshield you won't have to tuck so far.

The rear pegs on the GZ help you get more aero, but aren't in the right location for me. When trying to use rear pegs I usually cramp with-in the first 5 minutes of trying to ride that way.

This is my opinion only, but I would not prefer to wind out a four cycle engine through the gears on a regular basis. The GZ isn't pressurized (sic) it has a slinger and I would imagine that you would get unneccisary wear and tear on piston rings, and cylinder walls. When I took my trip to Southern Indiana I ran into several long steep grades, if I couldn't get a good run at them I would be slowing to 45-50 mph by the time I reached the top. I on occasion would drop to 4th gear and my engine would scream, but pull me back to speed. That is about the only time I pulled red-line rpm's on my GZ.