Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 12-15-2008, 09:44 AM   #61
beemerchef

Re: 48 States in search of Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Beemerchef.....sounds like you live an interesting life. Like your navigator and best bud. Nice to see you protect his eyes and ears on the road, many folks don't realize dogs suffer from ear and eye problems from hangin in the wind. Happy trails and don't be a stranger here.
Thanks for the invite... and yes, it blows me away to see dogs in the back of trucks with no protection!
Come and join us... much room here...

Be well... Ara & Spirit

http://theoasisofmysoul.com/

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-18-2008, 01:02 PM   #62
GZ250

i am neither for or against the idea. the person who is doing something has to decide and take the final decision, but one thing i know it is not necessary to complete the figure of 48. journey starts with a single first step and as far as one can go, one should go and there after return happily.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:29 PM   #63
countrydad

If you make it to Idaho, look me up. I am on the location mapper and would love to help you out on the trip if you get to the Northwest!

Good luck, and God Bless!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-23-2008, 10:40 AM   #64
Orpheus

If you're still looking for camping equipment, try looking around at www.sportsmansguide.com . They usually have really good deals on military surplus stuff (the "military HQ" link about 2/3 of the way down the page on the left; they also make their own military knock-offs, which are lower quality but much cheaper). I do a lot of camping, and I get a lot of my equipment from that site. A few recommendations:

- Get a lightweight hammock (one of those cheap rope ones would be fine). If you don't have to worry about rain or bugs, it is the most relaxing way to spend the night or take a midday nap; you can even string up a tarp overhead if you're worried about rain.

- The US military ALICE packs are the greatest backpacks ever invented; you can get the frame and a medium-sized pack for about $40 (used) and it'll last for years. You can also attach a lot of stuff to them (canteen, mess kit, tent, sleeping bag, etc.)

- If you're worried about carrying a lot of weight, the tent and sleeping bag are both things to look at for compactness and light weight. Unfortunately, the heavy-duty, lightweight ones will all cost a lot of $. I don't usually have a problem with the cheap tents, and they probably last me about 2-3 years on average (probably sleep in them about 30 nights/year; I typically use the aforementioned hammock when the weather's nice). A decent blanket might also be something to look for.

- Don't plan on being able to use a tent in the desert in the middle of summer unless it's one of those that's just a mosquito net in a frame with a rain flap that completely comes off. Nights are also hot here, and you won't be able to sleep. You might want to plan to come through this part of the country during the Spring, so you can avoid the heat (and scorpions, spiders, snakes, etc.)

I think that's all I've got for now.