Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 10-18-2010, 07:35 PM   #31
opacha

Re: I got a 5th gear problem..

I have the same problem. Engine rev's fine in every gear. In fifth it jerks and stalls repeatedly every 3-4 seconds. What ended up being the solution?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #32
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by opacha
I have the same problem. Engine rev's fine in every gear. In fifth it jerks and stalls repeatedly every 3-4 seconds. What ended up being the solution?
Have replaced the spark plug ? On ocassion the extra load of 5th gear will find the weakest link in the chain.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #33
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Quote:
Have replaced the spark plug ? On ocassion the extra load of 5th gear will find the weakest link in the chain.
Well......this looks like we are about to re-hash all of the suggestions in the original thread.
The original poster never let us know what the problem turned out to be; maybe even HE still doesn't know.

I would also suspect the plug boot or maybe even the plug wire just being loose.

Then there is the vibration thing that might be triggering an intermittant condition in the sidestand safety, the kill switch or even the ignition switch or a fuse......which are things we did NOT cover in the original thread.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #34
opacha

I figured it out, sort of... if i hold the gear selector up with my foot, then 5th gear works without any surging. Now I have to figure out what needs to be done to solve the problem without holding the selector up. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #35
Easy Rider

Quote:
I figured it out, sort of... if i hold the gear selector up with my foot, then 5th gear works without any surging. Now I have to figure out what needs to be done to solve the problem without holding the selector up. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
"Sort of" is pretty accurate. :biggrin:

There is NOTHING in the transmission that will cause the bike to surge......except maybe the clutch.....and certainly nothing that would be affected by holding the shift lever UP.

You may be putting some pressure on the side stand switch .......which would be pretty close to your left foot, IIRC, and that could definitely cause it to cut out when going down the road.

Or you may actually have a slipping clutch and the shift lever thing is just a dream. :roll:
How's the slack in your clutch cable ??

Old 12-16-2010, 03:52 PM   #36
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider

You may be putting some pressure on the side stand switch .......which would be pretty close to your left foot, IIRC, and that could definitely cause it to cut out when going down the road.

Or you may actually have a slipping clutch and the shift lever thing is just a dream. :roll:
How's the slack in your clutch cable ??
:plus1: Sounds like the side stand switch may be your problem.
:2tup: :cool:

Old 12-17-2010, 12:43 PM   #37
opacha

I hard wired the side stand switch out, just to make sure it wasn't it...It's not. It will start with the side stand down, but still lurches every 4 seconds or so unless i hold up the gear selector. If i very gently hold it up i still surge but i can feel the gear selector moving downward as the bike surges. Falling in and out of gear?
Old 12-17-2010, 12:55 PM   #38
opacha

Seems like I got the same as this guy:
http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/viewtopi ... 3&start=25
look at the last 2 posts.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #39
alanmcorcoran

opacha, check to see if one of those guys left a PM or e-mail on their profiles. A lot of time people come and go and stop posting, but you can sometimes track them down cause they still monitor their e-mails.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #40
Easy Rider

Quote:
downward as the bike surges. Falling in and out of gear?
Surging is quite different than falling out of gear.

If you do NOT hold the shifter, does the engine race and you stop putting power to the wheel ??

If it is falling out of gear, then you probably have some transmission damage. That probably is not a user repairable item. A shop visit would be recommended. The longer you ride it like that, the worse it will get. A simple bent shifter fork might turn into major damage.

If it comes back on it's own (every 4 seconds) then it likely is NOT falling out of gear because that's something that is so unlikely to happen that I'd call it impossible.