Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 12-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #41
Water Warrior 2

Re: I got a 5th gear problem..

Gotta agree with ER, the bike isn't going in and out of gear. If it was there would be more than enough noise and clattering to get 110 % of your attention. I think if there is a surging it would be electrical or fuel related. Check the lines at the fuel cock. 3 lines, 2 for fuel and one for the vacuum operated diaphram. Make sure none of them is pinched to restrict vacuum or flow.
Also keep in mind that the overall load on the engine in a taller gear may find the weakest part in the ignition system and lead to a surging issue.
Now, about that shifter. Check over the shifter and all pivot points. Make sure all adjustment points are tight. If memory serves me correctly there are 2 little Hemi joints inside rubber boots that should be lubed every so often. Just give them a shot of chain lube inside the rubber boot. Works like magic on the Vstrom.
Not going to go back to reading previous posts so tell me. How old is the bike and how many miles(kms). Have a thought to dwell upon.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-18-2010, 06:21 AM   #42
opacha

Thanks for all the help. It's an 07 with 10200 miles. I would agree that it might be electrical or fuel related only for the reason that the shifter trick solves everything. I can shift to 5th at 25mph with the shifter trick and the bike runs beautifully. If i shift to 5th at 60 without it, bam, it surges again.

To answer ER's question. If i dont hold the shifter then the bike slows down with lower revs for a moment, then revs back normally, then dies for a split second and on and on...

I looked at those pivot points, I will lube them, though, I can't imagine how that would help the shifter stay up. The only point where I feel if it were tightened, it MIGHT solve the problem is where the shift level meets the frame. This diagram may help:
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_ye ... ies/117625

I am referring to part #35, 37, 38

Also perhaps the return spring may also be too worn? part #31?

Thoughts? Thanks again
Old 12-18-2010, 12:19 PM   #43
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by opacha
To answer ER's question. If i dont hold the shifter then the bike slows down with lower revs for a moment, then revs back normally, then dies for a split second and on and on...
THIS IS NOT A TRANSMISSION PROBLEM. It just isn't.

Holding the shifter is an illusion and it is just distracting you from finding the real cause.

Now.......like the suggestion of the side stand switch......in the process of holding the shifter up, you may also be moving or putting pressure on something else, like a nearby wire, or your knee is moving the tank ever so slightly.

Pay particular attention to the wires going to the neutral switch. Along with the side stand safety, I think those are about the only two electrical things near the shifter.

[edit] Just had another thought. It might be possible that something inside the transmission is BINDING up and dragging the engine down. A rider with lots of experience might be able to tell the difference between a loss of power due to an electrical/fuel failure as opposed to a mechanical binding. An engine that is failing has a much different feel than one with too big a load on it.

If something is binding up, it might suddenly decide to lock up comletely.
That would be BAD. :skull:

Old 12-18-2010, 11:33 PM   #44
Water Warrior 2

Another silly question. When is the last time you did an oil/oil filter change ? What kind of oil are you using ?
Old 12-19-2010, 09:35 AM   #45
bonehead

Sounds like clutch to me.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:34 AM   #46
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead
Sounds like clutch to me.
Except he said it "bogs down" instead of "the engine races".

I get the feeling that some critical piece of information is missing........or we are having a communication problem.